cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Management

tmcquaig
Level 4
I'm looking for a way to have my backup system tell me what tapes to take out of the library and send offsite. What tapes to get from offsite that have old data that can be deleted from tape because enough newer copies exist. Can tell me when I need to put more tapes in the library so that backups can complete that night or next few nights. I'm used to Tivoli and DRM.

Also are there any non symantec message boards for veritas like www.adsm.org is for TSM.

Also, Reporting in backup exec. Are there any good sites with samples to custom reports that can possibly help me with my first question. Currently I have a report scheduled and emailed to me that tells me what tapes were written to within 12 hours. I have this report scheduled to run less than 12 hours since my backup jobs run.

Thanks in advance for your time!
5 REPLIES 5

tmcquaig
Level 4
No one has any information on this?

ttt

Rodney_Hills
Level 4
If you are using BackupExec 10, then looke at the Update vault wizard? You configured the time periods when a media is available to be moved off site and when it is to be returned. Running the wizard will select those media that need to be moved and will automatically update the information plus automatically run the export on those tapes in the robotic library.

By the way. Why are you not using TSM any more?

Rod Hills

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

A media vault is a logical representation of the actual physical location of media. You can create user-defined media vaults to keep track of where media is physically stored, such as a special media room, a scratch bin, or an off-site location. For example, you could create a media vault where media to be sent off-site is moved, then print the media vault contents report, which lists the media contained in that vault, to accompany the physical media to its off-site storage.

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256575

If our understanding regarding your issue is incorrect please elaborate.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

tmcquaig
Level 4
But you can't schedule media to move to vault and back. It's a process that you manually kick off. Which is pointless. Backup exec isn't going to try to use a tape that isn't in the system anymore. I don't see a point in using this feature if it is still up to the administrator to manually start a process to move the tapes.

Also. The setting to move the media is for after it can no longer be written to. Is this when the append period expires? If so now you have to guess when to set your media to expire appending which will cause you to have unused tapes space if you cannot forsee the future of backup times.Message was edited by:
Trace McQuaig

tmcquaig
Level 4
The company I just moved to does not have Tivoli. They were told by consultants to purchase backup exec. Backup exec just doesn't have the features of an Enterprise product. Tape management is the most important thing once you get the data on tape. Backup exec will put data on tape no problem. Keeping track of more than a handful of tapes or storing tapes outside of the system and it just lacks features to handle it seemslike.