cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape dissapear from the Library

rcunha
Level 4
Hello Guys,
I was making some tests with a One Single Tape Drive Dell LTO3. But yesterday it dissapear from the library of Backup Exec.
First it not recognize the tapes, after I try to put others with no success.
Then I paused it, exclude and try to rescan in the menu Storage for it, like install for the first time, and nothing appear anymore.
On control panel, I see the driver there. It is not possible to reboot this server now, I will try to reboot in some days. There is One more thing that is possible to do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
If the drive is listed in device manager, restart the backup Exec device and media service and see if It gets recognised.

Also refer the HCL for BE 16 to ensure this is compatible
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100032805

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
If the drive is listed in device manager, restart the backup Exec device and media service and see if It gets recognised.

Also refer the HCL for BE 16 to ensure this is compatible
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100032805

Ok, I look at the control panel and the drive is that:

LTO3.PNG

I go to the Hardware Compability List, and see that this Drive is Retiring from the Support:

LTO3-2.PNG

I will try to restart the server in some days and look if it work. Thanks for your help.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You mentioned a library.  Are you using a robotic tape library?  If so, which one, as you need to look int he HCL for the robotic library and drive pair.

The section of the HCL in your screenshot:

1) is for stand-alone tape drives, not robot & drive pairs

2) says the support will be ending in the NEXT version of Backup Exec.  The drive you pointed to would still be supported in this version of Backup Exec.

@Larry_Fine wrote:

You mentioned a library.  Are you using a robotic tape library?  If so, which one, as you need to look int he HCL for the robotic library and drive pair.

2) says the support will be ending in the NEXT version of Backup Exec.  The drive you pointed to would still be supported in this version of Backup Exec.

I´m use a Single Tape Driver inside a Dell Server with the version 16, and the HCL says: "The devices in this section will not be listed as supported in the Hardware Compatibility List for the next major Backup Exec release after Backup Exec 15", but it still working for some months, and stop to work on this week now. 

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@rcunha wrote:

@Larry_Fine wrote:

I´m use a Single Tape Driver inside a Dell Server with the version 16, and the HCL says: "The devices in this section will not be listed as supported in the Hardware Compatibility List for the next major Backup Exec release after Backup Exec 15", but it still working for some months, and stop to work on this week now. 

That is probably a typo in the BE 16 HCL "Retiring soon" section.

The BE 16 HCL still shows this as supported.

https://origin-download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/OSVC/100032000/100032805/en_US/be_16_hcl....

The BE 20 HCL does not show it as supported.  The BE 20 HCL puts that tape drive in the "Support End-of-Life" section.

If restarting the BE services doesn't fix the discovery, then rebooting or power cycling the server is the next step.