cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape does not unload after backup finishes

sandore
Level 2

After backup exec daily backup to tape the tape is not ejected it remains on the tape drive of our hp 1/8 G2 autoloader, this was not happening before.

Any help?

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Not from the BE perspective. It is probably a hardware problem. Run the library's diagnostics and consult your hardware vendor

Backup exec job is saying job failed because of writing error and rewinding error, I launched hpe library and tape tool and tested all functionalities and writing and reading and rewinding no problem resulted.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am assuming this is a SAS connected library?  What SAS HBA are you using?

If it is a RAID capabale HBA, please make sure it is one of the few that are supported.  https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100021088.html

Is that article still valid as it was last published in 2013 and doesn't specify the version of backup exec they support.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@JSITVC wrote:

Is that article still valid as it was last published in 2013 and doesn't specify the version of backup exec they support.

I got the link from the BE 20 HCL, so I assume it is still valid.  Although there certainly could be newer HBAs by now.

Are you using a RAID HBA?

If so, does the HBA vendor claim that the HBA supports tape?  What HBA is it?

Larry_Fine fixed a similar problem for me where the tape would eject but would be pulled straight back in. Our issue was that we were using a RAID HBA and although backups would work, it wouldn't use hardware encryption, it would appear offline after every backup and eject had a mind of its own.

We replaced it with the LSI SAS 9207-8e HBA and now eveything is working as it should.