cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape driver for BuE 2016 where to get it?

Stefan3
Level 2

Hi

I have a LTO8 drive.... which is not discovered and I get a alert like "BuE was unable to ini and communicate with the device [HPE......."

Until 2015 this meaned I need to install the tape driver, but I do not find in in the BuE folder (tapeinst.exe)

But this is not there in 2016,google says click the link in the BuE GUI, see below, but I get 404 page

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/15047.html

And I do not find any thing useful searching on that page.

So can some one please give me a working link? 

Thx

2018-01-11_07h29_32.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi thx for the quick reply,

yes I checked that before... and yes "HPE Ultrium 30750 LTO8" it is in HCL for 2016
And yes the drive is shown in device manager but without any driver.

7. Required support can be found in "FP2 Hotfix 128051". Use the latest Feature Pack available: <https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH000128051> or via LiveUpdate

I did run LiveUpdae and it did not download anything. It says  "Thx for using LiveUpdate , All Symantec products and components on your computer are currently up-to-date...."

So I asumed I do not have to download "FP2 Hotfix 128051" manually... which I'm doing now...

Ok this Hotfix helped. I now see the LTO8 Drive and the library in Storage tab and it's happy.
I can erase LTO8 tape so it looks promising :)

But the drive is still shown in device manager without driver.

Not sure why LiveUpdate does not fix that or any hotfix, I mean it said there are not updates... maybe our proxy makes trouble there, but then I do not understand why it does not complain about not working internet access.

bye

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Not_Jake
Level 4

Hello,

Please check your LTO Drive in the Hardware Compatibility List below:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/BE_16_HCL

Is the LTO Drive visible via devmgmt.exe (Device Manager) at O.S base level ?

Regards,
Jake

Hi thx for the quick reply,

yes I checked that before... and yes "HPE Ultrium 30750 LTO8" it is in HCL for 2016
And yes the drive is shown in device manager but without any driver.

7. Required support can be found in "FP2 Hotfix 128051". Use the latest Feature Pack available: <https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH000128051> or via LiveUpdate

I did run LiveUpdae and it did not download anything. It says  "Thx for using LiveUpdate , All Symantec products and components on your computer are currently up-to-date...."

So I asumed I do not have to download "FP2 Hotfix 128051" manually... which I'm doing now...

Ok this Hotfix helped. I now see the LTO8 Drive and the library in Storage tab and it's happy.

Not sure why LiveUpdate does not fix that or any hotfix, I mean it said there are not updates... maybe our proxy makes trouble there, but then I do not understand why it does not complain about not working internet access.

bye

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We had a minor issue with installing Hotfix 128051 via Live Update so temporarily removed it (whilst leaving it available for manual download) it will return to LiveUpdate soon.

However please be aware that as LiveUpdate is a Symantec service (and Veritas have now split from Symantec) that very soon (date to be confirmed) LiveUpdate will cease to provide updates for Backup Exec, and therefore any unpatched servers running older BE versions after use of LiveUpdate is discontinued will always have to be manually updated. Veritas will be providing it's own update system for the latest product versions going forwards.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@Stefan3 wrote:

That is OK to be in Windows Device Manager without a driver.

From the HCL:

Some notes about drivers: Veritas Kernel-mode Tape drivers and tapeinst.exe are no longer installed if Backup Exec 20 is installed on Windows Server 2012 or later. There are no devices on this Backup Exec 20 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) that require Veritas Kernel-mode drivers. USB tape devices still require a Microsoft or vendor Kernel-mode driver, in addition to the Veritas User-mode driver. Users of very old, unsupported, tape devices should investigate and test before using Windows Server 2012 or later to determine the functionality as kernel-mode drivers may be required. All supported tape devices are now accessed by Veritas User-mode drivers. Most tape devices have been accessed by User-mode drivers for multiple previous versions of Backup Exec.

User-mode drivers are not visible in the Windows Device Manager. When no Kernel-mode drivers are installed, the Windows Device Manager may show the tape drive with a yellow exclamation mark. This is acceptable and does NOT prevent the device from being used with Backup Exec and the User-mode drivers. Kernel-mode drivers from Microsoft or the tape hardware vendor are generally acceptable to be installed. Backup Exec will continue to access the tape devices via User-mode drivers.

Tapeinst.exe is the program that installs Veritas Kernel-mode tape class drivers. When using Windows Server 2008 R2 or earlier, tapeinst.exe can be invoked manually or via the "Install Tape Device Drivers" wizard (under the "Configure Storage" menu). When using Windows Server 2012 or later, the ability to run the "Install Tape Device Drivers" wizard (under the Configure Storage menu) is no longer present and is not needed.

Hi all,

I'm happy it works now Smiley Happy

But from a customer perspective it's not the best expirenece to click in the software on a button and get redirected to an 404 website and that LiveUpdate is a Symantec Service and not a Veritas one... basically I do not care, since this is the tool which was installed and refered to in the yesterday downloaded Backup Exec 2016.

bye