cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape drives not showing in Storage tab of BE 2012 - Dell ML6000

MarkMOPIT
Level 3

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my tape drives to show up inside of BE2012. They were working fine at one point but i had to reboot the server and now they are no longing showing up in BE. They are listed inside of Device manager and are part of the BE2012 HCL. they have been working for a while but now when i run the Symantec Device Driver Installer inside of BE nothing appers in the Storage tab after the two tape drives install using the Symantec driver in the wizard. 

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

It sounds like you can see the two tape drives in Windows device manager, but do not see the robot (specifically the "unknown medium changer") in Windows Device Manager?

In that case, a possible explanation is that the library has become mis-configured and is no longer using a control path.  Typically the control path is enabled/disabled as a property of the tape drives in the library.  So, connect to the library using the web interface, look in the drive properties (or maybe in the logical libraries setting?) and confirm that one (usually only one) drive has a control path enabled.

Basically, the control path is the method that the robot uses to communicate to the BE server, using the tape drive's physical connection.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Check what the ADAMM.log says (start near the end of the log for latest info - although you can compare with entries from before your reboot as they should still be in the same log)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Make sure that the tape library appears in the Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver Run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape library/drive. Make sure you select the write test and the you have stopped all the BE services beforehand. If there is any error, you need to get them corrected

MarkMOPIT
Level 3

Colin - i have the Log up but cannot really make much sense of it. The last successful full tape backup was 10/21/2015. It looks like BE is showing that the drive is offline. 

[7272] 10/23/15 17:04:15.662 DeviceIo: 04:00:04:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape1", SCSI cmd 16, 1 total errors
[7272] 10/23/15 17:04:21.681 PvlDrive::DisableAccess() - ReserveDevice failed, offline device
       Drive = 1005 "IBM 0001"
       ERROR = 0x0000001F (ERROR_GEN_FAILURE)

[7272] 10/23/15 17:04:21.684 PvlDrive::UpdateOnlineState()
       Drive = 1005 "IBM 0001"
       ERROR = The device is offline!

[7272] 10/23/15 17:04:21.685 Begin dump of device's SCSI history

pkh - The drives are showing as IBM ULTRIUM-TD5 SCSI Sequential Devices. The Drives have passed diagnostic tests from the web interface. both the drive's firmware are up to date. Not sure how to force the drives to appear as Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver. This is a Widnows 2008 box btw.

thanks,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not talking about the tape drives.  The tape LIBRARY should appear in the Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.

MarkMOPIT
Level 3

pkh - I checked device manager and do not see the library listed; however, the ML6000 is a network device and only drives connect directly to the BE server (via SAS). The ML6000 library is access via web interface which is not and never been detected by BE (as far as I know, I could very well be wrong).

Thanks,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The tape library has to be in the BE console for BE to control it and the tape drives.  If you do not see that tape library in the Device Manager then BE cannot use it and the tape drives.  You may need to get your vendor to help you resolve this hardware problem.

Accessing the tape library using the WebUI is a normal functionality of a tape library and this has nothing to do with the operation of the library and tape drives by BE.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have any other software which uses the tape storage ?

If running any HP Insight services, disable them all.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

The ML6000 isn't a network device, but like all autoloaders/tape libraries it has a management port requiring network connectivity.

The robotics have to show in Device Manager along with the tape drives.

Consider completely removing the library from Windows and Backup Exec, add it back again and then see if it all works.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

It sounds like you can see the two tape drives in Windows device manager, but do not see the robot (specifically the "unknown medium changer") in Windows Device Manager?

In that case, a possible explanation is that the library has become mis-configured and is no longer using a control path.  Typically the control path is enabled/disabled as a property of the tape drives in the library.  So, connect to the library using the web interface, look in the drive properties (or maybe in the logical libraries setting?) and confirm that one (usually only one) drive has a control path enabled.

Basically, the control path is the method that the robot uses to communicate to the BE server, using the tape drive's physical connection.

MarkMOPIT
Level 3

Thanks everyone for your help. So here is the solution:

pkh - Helped me understand that the library is not being seen by the server (duh). which led me to the link below. The control path was set to a drive that was not connected. once i connected it and reran the Config Storage in BE the library showed up. All is working now and thanks everyone for you help.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/storage/f/1216/t/18886558