cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape duplicate jobs seemingly ignoring library, Ready - No writable idle devices are available

OnlyMeHere
Not applicable

2 media servers, one is a fresh as fresh can be build.

SAS-Attached IBM LTO6 Library on each media server, 2 LTO-6 drives.

Both servers exhibiting exactly the same symptoms/behaviour, including on 100% new, just-configured jobs.

Backups go to an EMC DataDomain and are then duplicated to tape.

Some of the time this works completely fine, then utterly at random any new dupe jobs will stop and either sit there saying one of:

Active: Queued (and sits on 0 bytes forever and ever)

Active: Running - Duplicate (and sits on 0 bytes)

Ready; No writable idle devices are available (which also never goes anywhere)

Under the storage tab the library and both drives simply show "Online" as their status.

If we restart the Backup Exec services, everything works fine. But with Christmas coming up and the office unattended for several days at a time this is not a useful solution.

I have tried re-targetting the jobs (from "Any tape cartridge storage") to the Library, directly to a tape drive or to a new storage pool including both drives and it does nothing.

We have logged a support ticket and they have suggested:

-Recreating the job (every single job does it, and they also work fine after a service restart, no thanks)

-Webex session (When I logged the call I said the server does not have an internet connection and never will)

So I am not holding my breath there.

Any suggestions? Considering this is happening on a brand spanking new freshly built server it seems more than a bit odd.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When the jobs are in the queued status, did you check whether there are any outstanding alerts to respond to?  It could be that the jobs need an overwritable tape and there is none in the library.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When the jobs are in the queued status, did you check whether there are any outstanding alerts to respond to?  It could be that the jobs need an overwritable tape and there is none in the library.