cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape labels

BobZ
Level 2
When you label a tape, is BackupExec physically re-writing the label?   If I change the label from LTO789 to LTO123 using TapeDriveA on ServerA and then take that tape over to ServerB/TapeDriveB, the label still shows LTO789.  On ServerB/TapeDriveB I can then label the tape as LTOABC and when I take the tape over to ServerA/TapeDriveA, it still sees the label as LTO123.
2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Label Media creates a Label Media job, which writes the new label to the tape, and overwrites any existing data on the tape.
Rename renames the media logically, and updates the label on the media the next time it is overwritten.

I'm not sure if in your circumstance to get the new label you have to re-catalog it.

BobZ
Level 2
I figured out what was happening.  

ServerA and ServerB both know a tape as ABCDEF.   You then relabel the tape as XYZ on ServerA.   If you inventory that tape on ServerB, it will still show up as ABCDEF.   I assuming it's getting that from the SQL database based on the tape's Media ID (stored on the tape's header and never rewritten).

I then ejected the tape and deleted ABCDEF from the media pool (you have to move it to "Retired Media" first) on ServerB.   Reloaded the tape and submitted the inventory job.   It correctly saw it as XYZ.