cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape media label has changed on “Storage of Veritas software".

sy_nattapon
Level 4

Tape media label has changed on “Storage of Veritas software".

I have the following questions :

• Why Tape media name and label has changed ?
  • Is it normal ?
  • If it is abnormal, how to checking and troubleshooting ?
3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am not sure I understand your question.

Are you using a tape library with a bar code reader?

The contents of your chart appear to be LTO gen 7 bar code labels, such as 000016L7.  Those bar code labels are also the media label (written to the tape itself).  Those names/labels shuld never change (unless the bar code label was physically applied AFTER the tape had already been used by BE)

Hello Larry Fine,

Thanks for your help.

Are you using a tape library with a bar code reader?

- Yes, I using a tape library with a bar code reader.

Please explian more detail for unless the bar code label was physically applied AFTER the tape had already been used by BE.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If

1) there is not a bar code label on a tape cartridge

OR

2) the tape library does not have a bar code reader

then the user can label their tapes as desired.  Those could be sequential numbers, random numbers, or words.  BE keeps track of the tape via a hidden GUID, so duplicates tape labels are allowed.

Once bar codes are present and readable, the next time a tape cartridge is overwritten, BE will name the tape using the bar code label to keep things visually consistent.  Before the tape is overwritten, thnings can be a bit confusing as BE will refer to a tape cartridge by it's OLD name, but the user will only see the physical bar code label on the cartridge, so the user may not know which tape cartridge is which.