cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape not detected

kmbm
Level 2

hi all:

I'm super new to symantec, we just installed it in our win2008 server. Have not activated the features of it. We haven't used Symantec BE as our main backup strategy due to some reason. Currently, I am only using it to backup files from an external disk to tape. This has worked before with no problem. 

Here's the scenario:

I have 3 external HDD w/ enclosure which served as our backup drive since the server could not recognize the tape drive yet. After installing the Symantec BE, since we cannot have symantic to automatically backup, I had to manually do it. I had to backup the contents from the first external drive to tape drive. I've performed Inventory and eject the 1st tape drive used. Now, I'm on the second external HDD and inserted the new tape to drive. Performed quick erase, however, it can't detect the inserted new tape. I can still see the contents from the previous tape used. Did I miss something? Do I need to do something else so it can be recognized and proceed transferring the file from my second HDD to 2nd tape? Please help.

I hope to resolve this problem so I can perform backup to whole server.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Kim ^_^

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In the Backup job properties click on the drop down arrow for the Devices option and directly select the Tape drive where you want to backup the data.

Or else go to Devices tab in Backup Exec and add the tape drive to the Device pool.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Sush---
Level 6

Did you run Inventory when you inserted the second tape?? Try to run the Inventory and then see of the tape is detected.

Thanks,

-Sush...

kmbm
Level 2

Thanks for your response.

Will inventory affect the previous backup to tape I did with the previous HDD?

I ran inventory to this new tape I recently inserted. The tape can be found under online media.The label is still the same from my previous tape label. I wonder if changing the label will allow SymBE to recognize this new tape while if in case I'll insert the previous tape, it can still recognize it. If it does, i might try to proceed with backup.

I hope SymBE can still recognize & restore the backup from previous tape. It would, right?

thanks,

Kim

Sush---
Level 6

Inventory will detect if the tape is present in the tape drive or not. It will also check if the tape is overwrite protected and other properties of it. It will not delete the records of your previous tapes and backups. If the name for the new tape is showing same then you can just try to rename the Media label which will help you to manage two tapes with different names properly.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

the server could not recognize the tape drive yet

I don't understand this statement.  You are using the tape drive so it is recognised and funtioning.

When you insert a new tape into a stand-alone tape drive, the status of what is in the tape drive does not change until you do an inventory on the tape drive, like what Sush said, but doing an inventory is not necessary.  If you just run the next job targeting the tape drive, BE will automatically read the tape label and determine the status of the tape before using it.  For example, you run Job1 and it uses Tape1.  After Job1 completes, even after you have ejected Tape1 and inserted Tape2.  BE will still show Tape1 in the drive.  You can either run an inventory or just run Job2.  If you just run Job2, BE will read the tape label of the tape in the tape drive and find that it is Tape2.  BE will then check whether Tape2 is suitable for Job2, i.e., if Job2 wants to an overwriteable tape, is Tape2 overwriteable, etc.  If Tape2 is suitable, BE will just use it for Job2. Otherwise, BE will eject Tape2 and ask you to insert a suitable tape.

kmbm
Level 2

Apologies for the late response.

I have performed inventory (after sush's advise & also changed its label). The tape can be found under "Online Media". So I tried to backup but I am getting an error message.

Please see attached file for screenshot of the error an d the actual scenario.

(https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oye1g1v43DDbFwG7D7Pn7DFtkqx0eYU9tFrrCsET0jU?feat=directlink)

Thanks a lot!

Sush---
Level 6

In the Backup job properties click on the drop down arrow for the Devices option and directly select the Tape drive where you want to backup the data.

Or else go to Devices tab in Backup Exec and add the tape drive to the Device pool.

Thanks,

-Sush...

kmbm
Level 2

Thank you so much for the replies. Both ideas helped me gain knowledge about BE. I can now perform backup to my second tape.

I now know what inventory is. I still have a lot to learn in BE(from basic to advance) especially before finalizing our backup strategy. I hope by then, you can still help me. If in case, you have something, link or tutorial for a newbie like me please give them to me. I'm not too techie, still new in this industry.

Thank you so much once again. ^_____^