cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape status report

DBA_Scott
Not applicable
Hi Guys, I've recently inherited a BE 12.5 system that was using different media sets (tape library slots) for various jobs. The problem with this is that the jobs have grown beyond the media sets assigned to them and my thougths are theer is a better way to handle this. Our library has a barcode reader and our tapes are barcoded. What I would like to do is have the jobs use any of the tapes in the library. This is simple enough however I need to know what tapes were used for what jobs. I'm struggling to find a report that will cope with this. Ultimately, I want the report to show: Tape status (full or empty), job (daily, weekly, monthly, etc), expiry (when it can be next overwritten) and slot number in the library. Is this something the reporting fucntion can do? Can anyone help me with some tips for creating such a report? Thanks Rgds Scott
1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You would need to develop your own custom report for what you are looking for.  Under the Report tab, click on Custom Report and right-click to create your custom report.

Normally, for different types of backup, you woul require different retention policy, i.e. how long do you want to keep the data for.  For example, you may want to keep your daily backup data for 1 week and your weekly backup data for 1 month.  If you lump all the tape in one media set youi can only set the overwrite protection period once.   Everytime you need to change the overwrite protection period, you need 1 media set.

Once the tape is associate with a particular media set, it will remain in that media set until it is associated with another media set.  A job that targets that media set will use the tapes in that media set before using tapes from either the scratch media set or other media set.

To cut the long story short, over time all your tapes will end up in one of the media sets that you have created and will remain in it forever.  Unless all your jobs target one media set, your idea of having a gigantic scratch media set is not workable.  The only way is manual intervention. For me, I move all my overwriteable tapes manually to the scratch media set.  I do this as part of my daily monitoring chore.