cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape to tape Backup using Backup Exec 2012

sandeep_birinen
Level 2

Dear Team,

we are taking Rman Backup using Syamantec Backup EXEC2012 oracle agent to Tape Drive. I want to move the same RMAN backup to another tape drive which was existed in another database node. Is there possibilty to copy Tape data to another Tape Drive using Backup Exec 2012 software?

Can any body please help on' above issue.

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You can duplicate backups from Tape 1 to Tape 2 only if...

1) You have 2 tape drives (Standalone or Library)

2) In case of a library you will require a LEO license for every additional tape drive in the library.

Refer to the below article on how to configure duplicate jobs.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187265

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...doesn't seem to answer the OP's questions at all as the second tape library/drive is attached to another server...

CraigV

...backing up data hosted on another media server can cause issues, if this is what you are talking about?

You can try setting up a standard backup on the second server to backup the data on the first. Otherwise, just remove the drive/library from the other server and attach it to the current media server and run backups like that...

Thanks!

sandeep_birinen
Level 2

Thanks Craig..

yes, I am talking about the same..

Here i have two database nodes, those 2 are installed with Backup Exec Media manager software with inbuild single tape drive.

From First node using Oracle Agent i have taken database backup to first node Tape Drive.

Client expecting same identical database backup to second tape also which was mounted in second node. I can't attach second node tape drive to first node.

When i am trying to use duplicate option, backup exec software showing tape drives with in that node only.

Kindly advise on this..

CraigV

OK thanks...those 2 media servers aren't aware of each other at all.

They are made aware of each other by licensing the CASO option, which is part of the Enterprise Server Option in BE 2012/2014.

read below on this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43297

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Using your slightly incorrect terminology - the second tape drive will have to be attached to the first node in order to duplicate the data from one tape to another as both drives will need to be in the same node

As these appear to be internal tape drives I suspect you cannot move the drive between servers and therefore your hardware solution cannot meet your clinets requiremeents and you will have to redesign

As an additional thought (that does not apply to Oracle but might be important for other items you backup), : I hope these servers also have enough disk space as without disk space the GRT restore functionality is likely to have problems. (GRT restores from tape need disk space on the media server)