cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes get out of order duing 3 week tape rotation

Joel_Watz
Level 2
I have a 3 week tape rotation cycle and have created 21 different backup schedules with 21 different media sets. After putting in the tapes into my msl600 tape library along with doing the catalog and inventory, I moved each tape to its appropriate backup schedule. However, after the job as run, the wrong tape gets used. For example, if I am on Monday_week_1, the media set designated for this day ends up using tape 5 instead of tape 1. Each tape has a bar code that is recognized in BE as verified.What is the best way of making sure that the backup jobs will select the appropriate tape everytime?
3 REPLIES 3

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check the overwrite protection period and append period for the media set
Please refer to the foll technotes:
An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period" :
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374
The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you moved the tape into a production media set after labeling it, it took on all properties of that media set including OPP as of the time that it was moved. Thus for a 14 day OPP, you cannot use that tape for 14 more days.

It may be a bit of a pain to set up, but you could create 21partitions (virtual tape drives) in your loader, and alter the jobs to point to the appropriate partition

Or for the next 21 days, you could just move each appropriate tape volume to the scratch media set before you go home for the evening. After that, the rrotation ought to work automatically

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.