Tapes listed in multiple media sets

berniebgf
Level 4
Partner

Hi All,

I have a BackupExec 2012 enviornment that consists of the following

2 x Media Servers 1 x CASO server

1 x TS3310 Library with 6 x LTO6 drives

I am seeing Tapes (Barcoded) listed in scratch media and also in other media sets with a status "Not Appendable" and the protection period still valid.

I presume this is not right.

I have tried inventory and Catalog for the library again bit still see the same entries.

Anyone have any idea's?

I am running all patches (SP2).

thanks

Bernie.

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the BEDB.

berniebgf
Level 4
Partner

Thanks,

Performed repair, same issue still seen, now also more of the following errors.

ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to the database or unsuccessful access to catalog index in the DataBase.

Does it need to rebuild it after the repair? Do I need to do another Index / Catalog on the library?

Thanks

Bernie.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try restarting all the BE services

berniebgf
Level 4
Partner

The services were all restarted after the DB repair, just doing a Inventory / Catalog on the library now....

If I see the same issue I will do a complete power cycle of the environment and see how that goes.

what do you think?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

That error you posted above is addressed in the TN below. Take a look and see if it works:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH150111

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am seeing Tapes (Barcoded) listed in scratch media and also in other media sets with a status "Not Appendable" and the protection period still valid.

Backup Exec allows two medias to have the same barcode.  It is not a good idea & it is confusing to humans, but BE doesn't see this as a problem and therefore not a corruption in the database or anything that BEutility will fix.

I would suggest going to the all media view & sort by barcode.  Any duplicates that are seen can be moved to retired, then deleted.  Then run scan, inventory & catalog as needed to get the proper info back into the BE database.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@berniebgf - Before you follow this advice, make sure that the tapes with the same labels are indeed multiple tapes.  Click on each duplicates and check their GUID's which are unique.  If they are the same, then they are the same tape.

berniebgf
Level 4
Partner

By GUI ID I presume you mean the media ID?

If so, I have check and double entired with the ame barcode have different media ID's.

However we have physically check the library and confirmed that ALL tape barcode are unique.

I am working this through with Symantec Support, will let you know how it goes.

regards

Bernard

pkh
   VIP    Certified

By GUI ID I presume you mean the media ID?

No. Right-click on the tape and check its properties.  You would be able to see an item called GUID.  This is unique for each tape and will the the same no matter how you label the tape.

berniebgf
Level 4
Partner

In Tape Properties there is no GUID field. (That I can see) 

I have right click the tape within the media set and in the slots and both properties do not show a media ID.

All the tapes we have are in the library, when I look at the library slots it lists all my tapes and their correct media set. Under Scatch I see ALL TAPES again.

I have check the library slots in Backup Exec and the Library Management and they line up.

So it is something with Symantec BackupExec that is the problem, I don't have duplicate tape / tape bar codes. (But who know.....)

Thanks and keep the idea's coming.

Bernie.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you can do is 

1) associate ALL the tapes with the retire media set.

2) right-click on ALL the tapes and select delete.  This will delete all of them from BE.  Check that you do not see any tape.  To be safe, restart all the BE services.

3) scan your library.  This should import all the tapes back into BE.  Check that they are not listed in multiple media sets.

4) move them back into their proper media sets.