cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes not recognised as in drive!

Tony_Stead
Not applicable
I'm a bit green at using backup exec - In fact an external IT company installed the drive, software and backup routine.

I'm running Backup exec 9.1 on a Windows Server 2000 with a Dell Dat72 drive.

I have a Monday to Thursday schedule (every day 4 Tapes) and a weekly shedule (every Friday 4 different tapes).

The Dat Drive recently fell off the server and a reboot sorted that out - But in the process I deleted the daily backup schedulel. Upon recreating it, I have obviously missed something!

I have to relabel or format a tape each day before the backup will run. For example - The backup ran fine last night on the Monday tape (after relabeling it), I ejected it and put the Tuesday tape in ready for tonight's backup, but when I check which tape is online, it's the Monday tape even though it has been ejected and the Tuesday tape is in the drive. Even if I then eject the Tuesday tape and reinsert it, it still shows as the Monday tape!

I have tried erasing the weekly tapes - Once erased they show up as online, but when reinserted they revert back to not showing up as online.

Can anyone help me out?
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't know why it acted differently before, but every time that you change tapes, you should run an inventory and let BackupExec read the header of the tape that is mounted

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Either an inventory or a restart of the backup exec Services is needed for backup Exec to recognise the tape.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.