cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminated Backup Set Corrupted Backup Exec 2014

EM-Hengelo
Level 3

Hello,

We have to restore some files from a back-up tape (2014) and after an Inventory and Catalog it shows that there must be 1.17TB on the tape.

If I want to restore the files "Backup Sets" only shows  a data size of 65GB and if i double click it doesn’t show any files to restore.

The only thing i see is Terminated Backup Set Corrupted (see attachment).

Is the tape totally corrupt or is there another way to restore the files from this tape?

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Have you selected the correct date range?

Thanks for your response!

Yes i did,  i am also able to restore the information of the C drive, the only problem is de D drive

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Usually a red cross in the restore selections means a partial catalog because some of the data is on different tape and the catalog files has only records for one of the tapes - however I am not sure the word corrupted is mentioned when this happens so you may have a worse condition.

Is this just a standrad drive letter backup or a virtual machine GRT backup - reason for questions is a partial catalog of a drive letter backup wouls allow you to restore some data (and I beliwve not show the word corruptwd in the status) however a partial catalog against a vmdk file spread across 2 tapes would not be able to restore  anything as teh compkete vmdk is needed (so thsi type of backup might report corrupte for this 2 tape scenario)

All I can suggest is that you set the catalog settings to NOT use media based catalogs and re-run te catalog operation if it asks for futher tapes that might be an indicator that you are missing some and you may have to set teh setting to not follow all te media in te sequcne as well. Once you have managed to run a catalog if it stil shows the same state then the media itself may be corrupted (as it states) and will be unsable.

Colin_Weaver

I guess there is anothe possiblility as the word terminated is also seen in the catalog status - it may be that the original backup job did not complete the D: drive - do you have the original backup job log to confirm the status of the original job?

Colin,

Thanks for your response.

Yesterday I was able to restore the particular data but i had to restore (almost) the whole tape (at 350 GB i canceled the job because the file was restored at that moment) so not the fastest way to restore 1 file :)

Where do i set the option "not use media based catalogs", do i have to enable "request all media..." and "Use storage-based catalogs"? (see attachment).

Thanks again!

The job is almost 2 years old, and in the meantime we did a new installation of BE2014 so i don't have the log anymore..

Colin_Weaver

OK so if restoring 1 file appeared to restore everything then that sounds like GRT against a Virtual Machine backup  as a restore from that type of backup set from tape needs to stage the complete volume to get back one file. This is why tape based backups are usually used for complete DR and disk based is used for single file GRT operations so that the staging is not needed.

So assuming it is a VM backup then I would say it probably spanned more than one tape originally and your catalog of just a single tape from the set has got the C: drive, as it fitted on the start of a tape as a compete drive, but does not have all of the D: drive so cannot catalog it properly. Again it is a shame you do not have the job logs/origfinal server as the tape used by the job woud be listed.

What did you do between yesterday and today to cause the change in restore selections?

Hi Colin,

The files are back-uped on 2 tapes and for both tapes (in our robotic library) i first runned a Inventory and Catalog job.

I looked within the back-up sets this Sever back-up used only 1 tape.

After i look at the size it shows only 50 GB but when i run a restore via the Restore wizard and selecting the whole volume (see attachment) it restored the whole tape (at 50GB the restore job told me it restored at 100% but it still restored files (at 350 GB i canceled the job).

oeps, the attachment...

Colin_Weaver

OK so looking at that it appears you tried to select the whole of the corrupted set which is not going to help if it won't expand to at least show some individual fiels to restore. 

Do you have any other tapes that you know were used in the same time frame - as if you do you may need to start cataloging those tapes as well to see if one of them changes the status of this set

I had to try something :)

This was our year tape, 2 other year tapes (01-2014 and 01-2016) I used did not have this problem...

Yours Charles

Colin_Weaver

Ok so if other tapes work then something catastophihc (and potentaialy a one off) happened to that tape.

Thanks....

I restore the files so I can live with it right now, thanks a lot for your support Colin and have a nice weekend!

Yours Charles