cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Agent for Applications and Databases - How to license SQL Server Agent

AimMujib
Level 3
Partner Accredited

According to the current Symantec Back Up Exac Licensing Guide, to license SQL server –

“Per Microsoft SQL server (includes the Agent for Windows). Note: Microsoft SQL can run multiple instances on a single server; when this is encountered one license will cover the multiple instances present on the single server”

As per above - Customer with 1 server running 3 SQL instance will need 1 x Agent for Applications and Databases license. This is something very new to me .

As far I know it was licensed per SQL server.

Can someone please advise (Using 1 x license for multiple SQL instance ) - If this is working for them or not ?  Also what would be the best practice? And why ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What you have mentioned is right. One Agent for Applications and Databases (Agent for SQL in this case)  per SQL server (ir-respective of the number of instances on the server)

And the licensing guide also mentions the same.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What you have mentioned is right. One Agent for Applications and Databases (Agent for SQL in this case)  per SQL server (ir-respective of the number of instances on the server)

And the licensing guide also mentions the same.

AimMujib
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your Quick Post .

Actually my customer mixed up with SQL instance and SQL virtual Machine.

They are running 3 x SQL virtual servers in one host along with other VM.

So I think they should purchase 3 x Agent for Applications and Databases.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The licencing is per machine, regardless of whether it is physical or virtual.  In this case, your customer needs 3 licences because of the 3 VM's.  The host does not count.

PackMatt73
Level 4
Employee

Are you using regular BE or V-Ray edition?

With straight up BE licensing, you will need 1 SQL per instance, along with a Virtualization agent.

However, if you are using BE V-Ray Edition, the licensing is all inclusive per host and you can spin up as many virtualized machines & databases without the need for additional licensing.