Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding

Jon_K
Level 3

Hi all -

I looked at my backup processes on a environment that I've inherited and I see:

<Job Name>  Full Backup -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

So... where is that service?  On the local Backup Exec 11d server?  Or the server thats being backed up?

What do I do at this point?

Also I should mention that all of my jobs from 12/5 - 12/9 are "On Hold" and I am not sure what to do with that.

Thanks all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...do a search for BEutility.exe. Open it up and then right-click your server name and choose the option to restart the BE services.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

Try the following:

1. Open up the Device tab and make sure that the server does not show Paused. if it does, right-click the server name and choose the option to Unpause.

2. If #1 is not applicable, check to see if all the BE services are started up. You can try either restarting the services through BE itself or using BEutility.exe, or restarting the server.

If this continues, make sure you are on BE 11d rev 7170 which was the last version of BE 11d, along with the latest service pack and subsequent patches. If you aren't, you can consider upgrading to this as it uses your current licenses.

Thanks!

EDIT: you can grab BE 11d rev 7170 on the link below:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=30140

Jon_K
Level 3

Thanks Craig - server is not paused as I have the option to pause it.

How do I restart the services through BE?  Is it the services on the BE server or the remote servers that are not responding?

Actually - I just right clicked the server in Devices and hit BE Services...  and it shows <Server Name >  Server Status:  Stopped.  Hrm..

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Please note that 11d is quite old release of Backup Exec and since more than 3 years there are no more new updates for this version:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=15047

CraigV

...do a search for BEutility.exe. Open it up and then right-click your server name and choose the option to restart the BE services.

Thanks!

CraigV

...well, if the OP isn't on the latest BE 11d SP, then there ARE technically new updates available. This would only be the case if they had all the patches installed.

Thanks!