cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Backup Exec user interface can only be run as a fully trusted application under .NET security policies

Ken_Morley
Level 3
I downloaded and installed BEWS 12.5 on our Windows 2008 Small Business Server (64-bit) this morning without problem.  Following installation, Live Update ran and applied a bunch of patches including SP3.  I then rebooted the server and tried launching Backup Exec for the first time.  I immediately get the following error:

The Backup Exec user interface can only be run as a fully trusted application under .NET security policies.  This means you must run it from a directory on your local computer or you must configure .NET security to fully trust the application from a network location.  (For more information, see http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-259-0012)

The application is being run from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec, which is about as local as I can get.  The referenced URL link opens Document ID 290571, which has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

The problem details are:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: bkupexec.exe
Problem Signature 02: 12.5.2213.152
Problem Signature 03: 4addee38
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4a7cb192
Problem Signature 07: 2d18
Problem Signature 08: 79
Problem Signature 09: System.Security.Security
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.305.9
Locale ID: 1033

Any ideas or suggestions?   

24 REPLIES 24

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Can you browse to c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\  and try launching bkupexe.exe from there? Is the install folder shared in your case? It seems .net policy configured on your server, do not trust the location where bkupexec.exe is located, and hence the message. This problem may exist, when trying to launch installable from a shared location, so make sure none of the folders in the folder structure for Backup Exec install is shared.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Ken_Morley
Level 3
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried everything obvious.

Looking through the directory structure, nothing in the path C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ is shared (I examined the properties of each folder and verified that Network Path: is "Not Shared").  I tried launching using BkupLnch.exe and BkupExec.exe and get the same error.  I am logged in as Administrator, but choosing the "Run as administrator" option makes no difference either.

Any other ideas?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Please check the result of "net share" command from command line.

Thanks

Mike_Microtask
Level 2
I am having the same issue.  The server is brand new with very little configuration done to it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Mike_Microtask
Level 2
 The install path is not part of "net share".

Martin_Ipenburg
Level 3
Partner Accredited
we encounter the same on our new sbs2008prem server. any suggestions?

townsepw
Not applicable
Make sure you are using the right version.  You will get that error when you run the 32 bit version on 64 bit and vice versa

darksilver
Level 2

Same thing here also.

Using Win 2k8 server standard 64Bit.
BEWS is very dificult to install, never works the first time (I get error 1719) and only after rebooting I can get it to fully install. But then I get the same error (The Backup Exec user interface can only be run as a fully trusted application under .NET security policies. ) when I try to start it. I've spent several hours trying to get it to work with no luck. 

Decided to remove all Symantec apps and go with some other apps that at least will load...

ErikT
Level 2
Just installed the BE2010 beta version on a Win 2K8 std 64bit platform, fully updated/patched, no shares whatsoever, and cannot launch the interface.  Getting exact same error message as 1st poster.

Anyone got any further with this?  Is messing with the .NET security an option?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anoop_Gervasis
Level 2
Employee Certified

Hi,

We would like to investigate this further and do request your help for the same.

Can you please try the following steps :

1. Visit  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx and download the Procmon utility from the site.

2.Launch the console with the Procmon utility and the Sgmon utility running in the background.

3.After the error message comes up, save the Procmon log, Sgmon log and the VXGather log from the Backup Exec server.

Note:  Do not add any filters in the Procmon utility and please do save the logs in the PML format itself.

4.Also, could you please go to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.pdf  and check if the user account you are logged on with has permissions on this key.

We would really appreciate if you could please send us a screen shot of the permissions on this key in the registry.

Please refer the below technotes if you need assistance in running the Sgmon debugging utility or in collecting the VXGather logs.

Using the Backup Exec Debug Monitor (SGMon) for troubleshooting

http://support.veritas.com/docs/309683

How to collect Backup Exec for Windows Servers log file information needed by Symantec Technical Support for troubleshooting purposes (using VxGather 1.2.2)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/318474

How to schedule Live Debugging with Backup Exec for Windows Servers using the SGMon utility

http://support.veritas.com/docs/329711

Regards,

Anoop

Level 2
Partner
I am encountering the exact same error on a new build of SBS 2008 on 64bit hardware.  Any progress on a solution?

mrgabe
Level 2
I have Windows 2003 Server 32 Bit and I am getting the exact same error.

As far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.pdf ...  I did not have reader installed and therefore this key did not exist.  I have tried installing reader and this key now exists with full permission as I am logged in as the administrator.

BE 12.5

Anoop_Gervasis
Level 2
Employee Certified

Hi,

As mentioned earlier, this issue is under investigation and we sincerely do request your help to investigate this further.

We would be really grateful if anyone of you could please send us the information I have requested for in my earlier post.

Also, could you please let us know if by any chance,  Backup Exec System Recovery 2010
(BESR 2010 ) was installed on the media server before Backup Exec  12.5/2010  was installed on the same server .

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Anoop

Kerflumper
Level 2
In my case BESR 2010 was installed first.  And the .pdf key does not exist in my case.

ErikT
Level 2
I won't be able to gather the requested data before the beginning of next week, but I can confirm a BESR 2010 trial version was installed on that server before BE2010 Beta.

Anoop_Gervasis
Level 2
Employee Certified

Hi,

Kindly  refer the workarounds  suggested in the technotes  below and please lets us know if they have helped resolve this issue.

The Backup Exec for Windows 12.5 Services fail to start on a 64-bit Operating System after installation on a server with a pre-existing installation of Backup Exec System Recovery 2010.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/340426

When launching the Backup Exec console, a security warning "The Backup Exec user interface can only be run as a fully trusted application under .NET security policies." is encountered.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/340263

Regards,

Anoop

darksilver
Level 2
I can also confirm that I had installed first a trial version of  BESR 2010.

jon_erdmann
Level 2
I downloaded and ran Process Monitor and saved the file.  Who do I e-mail it to?  Has anyone come up with a solution to this? 

JamesV
Level 2

On the connect screen I noticed that I was unable to log in until the backup exec services started. I tried to start the services in the program but it hung for over 15 minutes. After closing the program I tried to start the Backup Exec Server in the services menu but got a "dependency service or group failed to start" error, I tried to launch another Backup Exec service the Device and Media Service as this was the flagged failed service in the error log and upon trying to start it received another error that said "contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 536928979"

This is where I am so far. Hopefully a Symantec employee is actually watching this still or maybe someone has progressed a little further. It's a shame it's so difficult to get support for this product. I had 2 different Symantec sales people call my office within 48 hours of downloading the program ready to wheel and deal but can't seem to get the support to even get it running. Also, just in case it doesn't go without saying, the *pdf fix did not solve the problem.

Best of luck everyone!

EDIT: After returning to the registry I found that after getting full control additional registry entries appeared, I took control of the new ones, refreshing each time to check for more. Now I am able to start every service in the application (Backup Exec Remote starts ok, Backup Device and Media starts ok) exept the Backup Exec Server service. In the error log the following errors appear:

"The Backup Exec Server Service detected a schema version mismatch. "

"Faulting application beserver.exe, version 12.5.2213.158, time stamp 0x4ad4dc70, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e0421d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000002592a, process id 0xd68, application start time 0x01caa03e4669c023."

Given that I was able to get this far simply working in the registry it appears that it's mostly a registry issue, at least in my case. I'll see what else I can turn up...