cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BackupExec Management Service was unable to start The BackupExec database was offline.

sitc1
Level 2

Hi. We have recently upgraded from BackupExec 15 to BackupExec 16 (Windows Server 2012 R2). The upgrade was successful but when I launched the BackupExec 16 application and entered the credentials (even tried the domain admin account), there was this prompt:

Untitled.png

I checked some of the workarounds here and found some that are update-related and those KBs (which are causing this problem) are not installed in our server.

The workaround that actually worked is changing the value of the Force Encryption from YES to NO. Then restarting the SQL and BackupExec services.

This Force Encryption is found in:

SQL Server Manager > SQL Server Network Configuration > Right Click Protocols for BKUPEXEC > Properties > Force Encryption

After changing the value to NO, BackupExec16 Launches without any problem (not prompting for credentials). But when I change it back to YES, the error happens again.

I'm wondering what is this Force Encryption for? Is it okay to change the value to NO? What will be the implications?

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you don't have the patches mentioned in www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116721 then it is possible Microsoft has released another round pf patches that have caused similar problems (since November last year I believe we have seen multiple iterations on different MS patch updates - especially those that have been applied as pre-release suggestions and not required patches) .

For us to find out what has affected you please log a formal support case - we cannot confirm the long term affects of using the workaround that you mention