cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Best Setup for our Two Servers with USB Drives

Rob_Muller
Level 4
So I have two servers: One is the Exchange and AD server, the other is our file and app server. The first server is Windows SBS 2008, the file and app server is Server 2003. Both servers backup to USB harddrives at this point, and both are using their default windows backup software (NT Backup for 2003, the new Windows Backup for 2008). 

I'd like to install the primary software of Backup Exec on the App Server running Server 2003, with a remote agent running on SBS 2008 backing up the Exchange and AD data.

My question is, is that possible? Is that even a worthwhile concept to try to introduce to our network? In that setup, will Backup Exec be able to backup and restore individual emails from email boxes? 

Also, I presume that if we do it that way, that it would all backup onto a USB Harddrive attached to the file and app server, and wouldn't require any harddrive's to be connected to the SBS2008 server.

Your advice on this matter is greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi Rob,
that' s correct, I have an identical solution working.

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In that setup, will Backup Exec be able to backup and restore individual emails from email boxes

you can select an option to restore individual EMails from the Stores backup

Also, I presume that if we do it that way, that it would all backup onto a USB Harddrive attached to the file and app server, and wouldn't require any harddrive's to be connected to the SBS2008 server.

Correct. 

You would need a base serial and an Exchange Agent (which will incluede the Remote Agent)