cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Duplicate D2T is taking 10 x time of a Backup to tape B2T

pmalai
Level 3

Hello,

I am using BE2010R2 on WinSrv2008 to do B2D2T jobs. I noticet that the writing bitrate to tape is too small, about 400 Mb/min. After reading some discussions about this, decide to run a backup job to tape using the same data (files) used for duplicate before. Amaizing but the bitrate raised up to 4500 Mb/min. 

My qiestion is: why is it working like this and if possible how can i get the same speed for duplicate job on tape (I know that priviously, about 6 months ago the speed of the duplciate jobs was about 4000Mb/s and then start decreasing till now 400Mb/s)?

Thanks for any help.

10 REPLIES 10

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What is your Disk target?  is it a simple disk, a raid, a dedupe?  Is it fragmented?  How fast do the B2D jobs run?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Also, is your B2D folder on a local device or on a remote device?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Any AV scans running on the B2D folder ?

pmalai
Level 3

Hi thanks for reply,

1)The B2D is done in a Raid 5, it is not fragmented because it will take a life to finish :(, the B2D job rate variate betwen 700Mb/min - 1500Mb/min  which is slow too i guess.

2)The B2D folder is on local device.

3)We have a scheduled AV scan wich runs in a diferent time then the backup and duplicate.

Sorry for any errors and thans for help.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...do you have any prefailure alerts on the local HDDs? Or HDDs in failure?

Thanks!

pmalai
Level 3

Well, yesterday we received a prediciton failure alert on one of the harddrives, but before this alert the backup situation was the same, I want to say that this is not the reason why the backup process is slow as before it was slow too without any alerts or failures.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

A prefailure alert should see the drive being replaced. Just because you received it yesterday doesn't mean that a failing drive won't give you issues. It's worth doing, especially if you have active support on the hardware.

Once done, check the B2D backup as well as the D2T and report back.

Thanks!

pmalai
Level 3

ok when the disk will be replacet I will try again the B2D2T and report back. 

Also I forgot to mention that at the begining we have got only one array for the B2D then the space was running out and we installed a second array and separate the B2D folders, later, after weeks the B2D2T speed start decreasing till now.

Thanks

pmalai
Level 3

Hello,

Just to inform that the HDD was changed, also a defragmentation was done on the system. The B2D bitrate =~ 1200 Mb/min, and D2T bitrate =~ 600 Mb/min.

Thanks

pmalai
Level 3

Hello,

Just to inform that the HDD was changed, also a defragmentation was done on the system. The B2D bitrate =~ 1200 Mb/min, and D2T bitrate =~ 600 Mb/min.

Thanks