cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Microsoft Active Directory service is not responding

daniel_tarcan
Level 2
A backup domain controller crashed because a hardware problem, I started the restore procedure on a similar hardware from tape backup dating 02.12.2006 (quite old...more than 60 days), but failed the restore with the message:
"Final error: 0xe000fe78 - The Microsoft Active Directory service is not responding."
In the Restore settings, at Advanced panel, I did not mark the option reffering to "Mark this server as the primary arbitrator..." because my backup is more than 60 days old ...
At my first attempt, I tried to make the restore manually, from the media server to the target: I restored first the C,D and E partitions, made a reset in normal mode of the target, and then restored the System state - so called Non-authoritative restore procedure, I understand.
The second attempt, I created the 2 IDR diskettes and performed the restore. In both cases I had the same error, specified earlier.
3 REPLIES 3

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
Are you installing Active Directory First then trying to restore?

If so you need to be in Active Directory Restore Mode when you run the restore

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer these technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/241489
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236240.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

John_Vyborny
Level 2
I am having the same problem. The backup is failing with the error message saying "Active Directory Services fail to respond". When restarting the same lsass.exe - System Error Security Accounts Error comes up.

I restore both the C:\ and System State at the same time while in AD restore mode.

I have tried selecting and not selecting: When restoring SYSVOL in System State, mark this domain controller as the primary arbitrator for replication.

Any other ideas to help me get a restore that completes successfully?

Thank you.