cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Windows Change Journal is unavailable or incomplete. This resource will be backed up without using the Windows Change Journal.

booster9488
Not applicable
I'm using Backup Exec 12.5 and using a Synthetic backup.  On the incremental jobs I'm trying to use the change journal,   When the job runs in the Backup set Detail I get "The Windows Change Journal is unavailable or incomplete. This resource will be backed up without using the Windows Change Journal."   The backup completes but takes many hours as it has to raverse the whloe filesystem.  this is happening on two different server 2003 boxes.  My Server 2008 box works properly however.  I have tried to extend the size of the change journal on the server 2003 boxes to 2GB and no change.  Do I have to run another baseline after I increase the size? 

I know the Server 2003 boxes both have change journals as I was able to increase their size.  In fact one of the 2003 boxes even used the change journal properly for a week, but after a NTFS permission change that caused most of the files on the drive to be modified it hasn't worked since.  I was guessing that the number of changed caused by that event had caused the log to wrap, which is why I thought maybe the log was "incomplete" as the error stated.  However, as I stated simply increasing the log size hasn't helped.

The only thing i haven't tried is a new baseline, but i wanted to find out if I was my logic was sound and this actually was what was needed.  i'm new to using change journals so I'm not 100% sure of how they work.
3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Refer the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/299314 
but you would need to disable the option "Collect additional information for synthetic backup and true image restore"
Or  disable change journal option if he wants to use true image
Hope this helps

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
use modified time for backups
Refer the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/299314 
but you would need to disable the option "Collect additional information for synthetic backup and true image restore"
Or  disable change journal option if he wants to use true image
Hope this helps

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Best option would be to removed Microsoft journaling option from job