cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The job failed with the following error: A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

yogo
Level 3

Hi, 

I am using Symantec Backup 2012. In my infra, we have data domain. Our backup jobs are directly going to data domain and from their it is going to tapes. So while the data being backed up on data domain, my jobs are getting failed with the below error. Can anyone please help me with this?

The job failed with the following error: A backup storage read/write error has occurred. If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly. Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem. You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Clean your tape drive

2) run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape drive.  Make sure that you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

If you drive repeatedly asked to be cleaned despite being cleaned recently, then it is faulty and needs to be replaced.  This is so even if it manages to pass the diagnostic tests.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Clean your tape drive

2) run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape drive.  Make sure that you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

If you drive repeatedly asked to be cleaned despite being cleaned recently, then it is faulty and needs to be replaced.  This is so even if it manages to pass the diagnostic tests.