cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost - Issue

Buonacorsi
Level 3
On one of our corporate servers that we look after, we are intermittently getting failures on backup for the File System (in other words, backing up everything bar exchange mail, which has a seperate backup).

The error message is as follows:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors
However, this server does NOT have any remote selections, and does not backup anything other than what is on its own drive.  One week it will work, and the next it will fail for a day etc...etc.

From what I can see, Symantec's support suggests changing things in relation to having remote selections, as the error message would suggest, but as we have no remote selections it is hard to understand, and why this happens intermittently.

There is a second server on the same domain, not a DC, just a member server, that has it's own backup, but runs an hour later.  This also has no remote selections, and backs up perfectly each day.

We have Server Pack 3 installed on version 10.1 5629.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Karl
18 REPLIES 18

Buonacorsi
Level 3
This has now in fact started to happen to our own Server, using same version of Backup Exec ONLY once I installed Service Pack 3...

...we have Network Teaming on both servers.  Could this be an issue?  Or is this a bug in SP3 for 10d?

Buonacorsi
Level 3
As of yet I have had no feedback on this thread.  Since last post on our clients Server we have, installed Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2003 SBS, removed network Teaming, and fully patched with Windows Updates.

This server has no remote locations that it backs up, but will randomly fail on the following errors:

Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup- ATLANTIC\BKUPEXEC AOFO: Initialization failure on: "ATLANTIC\SBSMONITORING". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.
V-79-57344-65072 - The database server is not responding. Backup set canceled.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "ATLANTIC\SHAREPOINT". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "ATLANTIC\SOPHOS". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.

Please can someone on this forum give some suggestion??

jrtall
Not applicable
I'm getting the same error, but I am in a multi-server environment.  When I get the error (only on weekly full backups, daily incrementals are ok) the nic on the server actually goes down and I need to repower the box.  I'm not sure why there is AOFO initialization if it's not being used or even licensed...

I updated the remote agent to no help and am running current service pack of 10d.

mha
Level 2
Hi,

I am also having the same problem where my backup failed intermittently due to "Error e00084F8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors". It happens once in a while but when it happen, it is really annoying. I am using Backup Exec 10d. After reading article 258159 at Symantec website, the article is related to remote servers. However the backup I am running now is for local server with an external tape drive. Furthermore, I am doing files and system state backup only. Right now I am under the impression that it is a common problem with Backup Exec 10d. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Johnny_mnemonic
Level 4
Hi,

I am facing the same problem too.

Uninstall my 11d and install with version 10 and still the problem exist. Opened a case with Symantec for 2 mths and till now unable to solve. Really a big headache for me.

Wondering why symantec is not able to locate the root cause since so many peopple is facing this problem.

bfee
Not applicable
HI i am also having the same problem, I have a small business server, and every night the backup fails. I am backing up the whole server and it failes at random times, and at random points. I have chaged the snapshot provider, the time of the backup, and the data that is backed up. No joy

Can anyone please respons with answers to this and make it worth the effort I have put in to register.

sfmarkh
Level 3
We have the same issue with 11D.  The server is backing up locally. 
Resouce Errors e00084f8 The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost.  It's very frustrating and time consuming.

Skeader
Level 3
We are getting the same error on 11d:

V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "PMCBSQVS". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

sfmarkh
Level 3
Same Problem here too. e00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost Running on Member server 11d - only happens on full backups. Not backing up data remotely, no remote selections. IS SYMANTEC ADDRESSING THIS PROBLEM!!!! VERY FRUSTRATED

Skeader
Level 3
Try reinstalling the remote agent, then manually adding your media server via the remote agent Publishing tab on the remote agent utility, plus add the option to publsih info to the media server.  This appears to have resolved the issue in our environment, test job only.  We'll see if the backup actually runs this evening.  Good luck.

sfmarkh
Level 3
Skeader
We tried your suggestions and it still doesn't work.  Smiley Mad
Thanks anyway- let us know if it worked for you.

M2TheJ
Level 3
I am having the same problem.

This would happen once a month or so prior to installing SP3, but now I rarely get a good backup.
I installed SP3 a few weeks ago and have tried just about everything I can think of to resolve this...

This is the only server in our environment (SBS 2003 SP2) and I am not backing up any remote files either.

Come on Symantec, take notice of this issue!

M2TheJ
Level 3
Has anyone found a solution for this issue?

It was a couple of months ago since some of you last posted that you were having this issue.
What was your resolution?

Thanks in advance for you help.
--MJ

Frightener13
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm getting the same error with BE 11d after I reinstalled the backup server. It doesn't matter what I'm trying to backup remotely - the AOFO can't be used.

Frightener

WCPL
Level 2
We've been getting these errors since I started working with BE10.x
The only solution I've been able to work out is breaking the backups into smaller chunks (each server is its own job instead of one big one) and then babysitting it through an entire run.

It errors out the same every time- it'll "hang" on one file for a very long time, then report that the connection to the agent was lost.  Usually open files, but not always.  So I'll watch it run until it hangs on some stupid little text file. It'll sit there looking at that one file anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours before it finally times out with the "agent lost" error. (The remote agent reports idle after just a few minutes.) Which is a fine pain in the ass, because it won't even record what file it's hanging on in the error log.  

At this point even trying to manually cancel the job doesn't do a thing- it'll sit there as "cancel pending" for another 20-40+ minutes unless I force it to quit by killing the local and remote services (though often I can't even get the services to stop, either... I usually just have to kill the remote agent and wait)  or get fed up enough to reboot the server. Smiley Mad

I make note of what's causing the problem (as the same files cause it every time) and then remove that file from the selection list and start the backup again till it finally goes through. After a long and painful process watching files back up (which is slighty more entertaining than watching paint dry, I'll admit) I'll remove anywhere from one to a dozen "problem" files and the backups run fine for weeks after that.

No problems with test runs. Only happens during a real backup. "Open file backup when AOFO is not used" is set to Never, though both With and Without a Lock changes nothing.  Just installed Service Pack 3, also no change.

I see there is a SP4... going to download that now.

Message Edited by WCPL on 03-04-2008 08:34 AM

sfmarkh
Level 3
OK I finally had a full backup with no remote agent errors.  Here's what I did- made sure that virus scan wasn't scanning the BE database or pagefiles.  I also disabled all DLO services.
 And I downloaded all the updates.  This was with 11d backing up locally.

Atique_Qureshi
Level 4
Solutions or Precautions :

1. Whenever you update Backup Exec Media server with a service pack or a hotfix, Push install the remote agent again to all the remote machines. This is mandatory to keep the configuration on the same page.
  2. Try to see if any application has grabbed port 10000 which is reserved for NDMP which is in turn used with Backup Exec. If it not assigned to any application, then make an entry in the services filed for port 10000 NDMP.
  3. Run continuous ping command to the remote machine which fails with any netwotk error. It could be a possibility that the network of that machine is the cause of the issue.
  4. Remote Agent service on all machines should always be running under the local system account.
  5. Debug the service if you encounter issue with its failure. Stop the service, type - debug in start parameters and start the service. Run backups to see if the service fails again. Ananlyze the beremote.log file located under c:\program file\backup exec\logs folder.
  6. Check the preferred network on the media server. At times multiple nic cards are used on the media servers to have a  failover. Click on tools>options>network to check which is the preferred netwrok path.

For any further queries you can contact me on mail : aatiquequreshi@aol.com

Regards,
Atique Qureshi
VCP,VSS, MCSE-03

Tekman
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I also was having an issue with the Remote Agent stopping on the Media Server, but I am using BE12 on a SBS server with the AOFO. This had been working for a couple of weeks but then the Remote Agent stopped each night during the backup. I ran the backup manually and noticed that the Remote Agent stopped right after the snapshot. I reinstalled the AOFO option and everything seems to be working again.