cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be foun

johan_holmstrom
Level 4
Hi all,
Running backup exec 10.0 with policy based jobs and keeps getting this error message on 3 of my jobs. "The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found. Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted." I do a backup-to-disk and then duplicate that to tape. I have a total of 6 jobs per night and 3 of them works perfect.
I've tried the solution posted on http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278589.htm but it doesn't work. I am able to do a restore from my backup so I'm sure the backup files are still there. I've done a cataloge and inventory of the backup files that are affected. Any ideas??
/johan
7 REPLIES 7

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello Johan,

Try deleting and recreating the policies and then verify if you get the same error.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

johan_holmstrom
Level 4
Hi,
Yep tried that now and it works, however, why does this error occur in the first place? If this happens again, will I have to do the same procedure again?

Thanks,
Johan

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Kindly refer the following document:

Final error 0xe0009444 - The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found. Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted. Final error category: job errors. For additional information regarding this error refer to link v-79-57344-37956.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278589

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

johan_holmstrom
Level 4
If you look at my initial post you will see that I've already tried that and it didn't work for me! Besides that, the post there doesn't clerify why the problem occurs, just how to get around it.
Regards,
Johan

johan_holmstrom
Level 4
How much longer do I have to wait in order to get a proper answer...!?! You can't all be this incompetent, right? After all, I am asking this question on a Symantec tech forum and hopefully Symantec hasn't left all Veritas products in the gutter.
Regards,
Johan

paro
Level 3
Partner
Hi Johan.

Annoying to wait for the staff to answer your questions isn't it.

I'm having the same problem and tried to sort it out by recreating and so forth. I think we can help eachother out here.

Give me a call at 0733-668190 and we can discuss our experiances in the matter.

Mvh

Patrik

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Johan,

We apologise for the delay in responding.

The cause of the error occuring is mentioned in the Technote. Here the part where it gives the cause:
Cause 1:
This error can occur if the corresponding catalog information of the source media for the duplicate backup job is either missing or deleted

Cause 2
This error can occur with policy driven duplicate jobs.
If a job is canceled or does not finish successfully it will try to duplicate the same data the next time it runs. If this source data is no longer available (e.g. if the Backup To Disk (B2D) file has been overwritten), this error will be generated.
Another common scenario is if a policy has a backup template that runs multiple days of the week but the duplicate template is set to only run once a week. The duplicate job will attempt to duplicate all data backed up since the last duplicate job. If the Overwrite Protection time is not sufficient to protect the media for the entire week some of the data may be overwritten and not available for duplication. For example: A policy is created with a backup template that runs Monday through Friday. This policy also contains a duplicate template that is scheduled to run only on Saturday. The duplicate template will attempt to duplicate all the data that was backed up Monday through Friday. If any of the media used in the Monday through Friday backup is overwritten before the duplicate job runs the duplicate job will fail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There could be one more reason for this. This error could also occure if there is a corruption in the Policy itself in the Database.

The best way to resolve all these Problems is to recreate the Policy, which inturn helps creating every thing new, thus solving the Problem. There are also other ways of solving the problem, which need to be dealt case wise.

Hope this helps you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.