Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three questions about BackupExec

JohnXYZ
Level 3

Hi All,

I have three questons below:

1. I can't see Microsoft Information Store when backuping Exchange, please see attachment(1.jpg). Note: All clients can send or receive mail, so Exchange Server is normal.

2. I want to backup DC so that I can restore it when need, so I backup DC's system state, but I don't know how to restore it to new server. Can I use restore wizard to restore it to new server? But I think the network will down during restore, because some information will lose, so as PC's name, IP or Agent.

3. I can't install Agent for Windows 2008 R2(It is DC), it will show 31.jpg when I use BackupExec Server to install agent and its process is 50%, and the log is 31log.jpg. It will show 32.jpg when I install agent directly on this server.

All attachments are zipped into one file: questions.rar

5 REPLIES 5

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

1 Do you have exchange license  installed. What version of exchange is this

2 To do Disaster recovery there are few main things

1 You must have full backup of C ,System state , Shadow copy components

2 Also while doing restore it is important that you need to restore to same h/w & same OS with same patch it had before so in your case if it was win2008 r2 sp2 you should reinstall same OS with same patch level

3 As you are not able to do push install try doing manuall install & see if that helps

try this  link too resolve push install issue

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124882

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130405

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

2) To recover your DC, you can either follow the steps outlined in the Preparing for Disaster Recovery section of the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory or you can use IDR which is described in another section of the Admin Guide.  In both cases, make sure that you are either restoring to the same hardware or very similiar hardware.  Otherwise, you may not be able to both up the server after restoring the system state because of driver imcompatibilities, etc.  It is always advisable to have at least 2 DC's in a domain to avoid losing the AD because of a restore failure.

JohnXYZ
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

1. My Exchange server is Windows 2003 R2 x86. I backup it formerly, it was fine and I can see information store, but I don't know why it is abnormal now, I can't see information store.

2. That is,can it restore successfully if I use restore wizard? Won't the new server offline during restore(because I think the new server's name and IP will change during restore)?

3. I will try at once.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I've had this before...uninstalling the Exchange agent license from the media server and then reinstalling it fixed it...might be worth a try as it is non-intrusive to the Exchaneg server.

If you open up a new selection list, do you see the Exchange IS or not? if so, this indicates corruption in the current selection list and you will have to recreate it.

Thanks!

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

If information store was exchange was visible & is not visible right now

1 Please check on first exchange license is installed

2 Then check the account you are using please check it has right permission by link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH21357

3 Also ensure by going to registy hklm-software-symantec-backupexec-engine-exchnage key is accessible

& yes for doing full disaster recvoery that server should be offline & as said in my above comment it has to be on same h/w& same Operating system & patch level too

Thanks