cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput Rate very slow on local server

anolan
Level 2
Morning,

I am having trouble with my backup exec 10.1 as of lately. Roughly 2 weeks ago I restarted my DC with is where my Exec is held. After the restart I noticed that my backups were taking double the time that they usually take. After some poking around I found that my throughput rate on my local disk was very very slow. I dont understand why this is so slow given that it is on the local disk givent that before my update the rate was about 1100MB/min and now it is 1/4 of that threshold. I also have another server that is also being backed up over GB network and it has a much higher throughput. 

DC Server:

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 63490 files in 7199 directories.
5 items were skipped.
Processed 12,259,477,330 bytes in 44 minutes and 26 seconds.
Throughput rate: 263 MB/min

SQL Remote Server:

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 8088 files in 519 directories.
Processed 20,529,852,879 bytes in 10 minutes and 26 seconds.
Throughput rate: 1877 MB/min

Any thoughts on what might be causing this. Currently we do not backup our exchange information stores because they are brutally slow. Should I be monitoring disk activity or IO?

Thanks for the help
Noncentz

6 REPLIES 6

Scott_Meltzer
Level 4

Well, firstly, try doing a performance baseline on your Backup Exec/DC server. Try to see what the processor utilization and disk utilization looks like before and during the backup.

Also, check task manager to see if there are any processes running wild.

Otherwise, try doing a backup with NTBackup and see what kind of speeds you get that way.  It'll help to determine whether this is a Backup Exec or hardware related issue.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is ALL disk access on this computer slower, not?

schedule some down time and run chkdsk against the local drives

anolan
Level 2
I ran some performance monitors on my DC all morning to collect a good subsect of data. I notice that my Physical Disk I/O is running much higher that I thought it would. % Disk time for my DC is basically sitting at 50% - 75% at all times. The pages per second are also very high.... I think this might be a good place to start first.

MitchR
Level 6
ChkDsk is a very good idea. 

If you're running a RAID, I'd suspect that you're running with a failed drive (a "degraded state", as some systems call it).  Check your RAID status and/or log.

jwcooper
Level 4
It's worth checking to make sure "Collect additional information for synthetic backup and for true image restore" is NOT checked.  Under "General" of the job setup.

I had this checked and it was causing a similar problem.  With this checked it doesn't make the actual transfer slower, what it did was take about the same amount of time as the actual backup transfer to do a "scan".  During this scan it was not backing anything up.  When the speed is calculated at the end it just takes the bits transfered divided by the amount of time for the whole job.  So by having that checked it appeared as though I was getting less than 1/2 the normal throughput.

darkok
Not applicable

Latest info:
I have similar situation. SQL backup runs fast, with lighning speed.
Byte count : 331,980,242,048 bytes
Job rate : 4,109.00 MB/Min

Domain Controller file backup runs extremely slow. Both to tape and B2D are slow (with BE12.5)!
Byte count : 3,632,690,441 bytes
Job rate : 14.49 MB/Min (Byte count of all backup sets divided by Elapsed time for all backup sets)
Files : 78,338
Directories : 131,868
(I've monitored this job number of times, the speed grows to almost 900MB/min in five minutes, it writes almost 1.7GB, and then starts dropping, and the whole operation lasts 3:10 hours.)
Same if I run full backup - the difference is that the speed is 364.00MB/min for 260GB of data, 11:49hours.

Network issue - it is not, I am copying a 2.5GB file from the DC to the backup server in 1:50min

Noncentz, did you find out anything more?

I applied SP2 for BE12.5 two days ago.

Hint?
I set the buffers to 1MB. Unchecked single read and write checkboxes on each tape. Have LTO4. No change.

Thanks