cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput rate Exchange Server 2003

Ahmed_Timol
Level 2
Hi

I am currently backing up Exchange 2003 Mailboxes on HP Ultrium 200gb Device. Using only hardware compression.
The Throughput rate whilst backing up the mailboxes drops to around 50megs Per minute.
This causes substantial problems due to the backup taking to long.

Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

When do you take the backup of exchange mailboxes? Make sure it does not clash with the Exchange database maintenance timings. Are the other backups giving you a better throughput?
Refer to the following technotes which might help in resolving the problem:

Title: Slow throughput while backing up Microsoft Exchange mailboxes
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264851

Title: Reasons why the data throughput rate can be slower than the theoretical maximum when backing up to tape media
http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

Hope the above information helps. In case not, do write back with details.
If we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Ahmed_Timol
Level 2
Hi Priya

1) I obtain speeds in excess of 350mb/min whilst backing up file servers over the network.
2) I am running McAfee and not symantec
3) My Exchange maintenance does not clash with the backup
4) Latest firmware and drivers is loaded.
5) Ample memory and page file is availble whilst the backup is running. Checked the usage whilst the backup was running

I fully understand that the backup will take longer and affect throughput rate when backing up exchange mailboxes from Brick Level, my concern though is weather such a drastic drop is actually correct?

350Mb/Min backing up other servers over the network
199mb/min Same server Winnt Directory
450mb/min Different server over the network.
57MB/Min Exhange mailboxes

I did not experience these problem when my server was running windows 2000 with exchange 5.5. It is not that basis that i have eliminated the termination and hardware faults.

Thanks for all your help.

Kind Regards
Ahmed Timol
moleyza@hotmail.com

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

1. Have you selected the AOFO option during the backup?

2. Also have you selected the single instance backup for
message attachments-in tools-option-exchange?

Please try doing the following

1. To isolate the cause of the issue try taking a backup by stopping the Anti-virus and thn verify hte result.

2. please enable the support for restrict anonymous and then verify the result.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

please update us with the results.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
Please see my comments in bold...

> Hello,
>
>
> 1. Have you selected the AOFO option during the
> backup?

Should this be enabled or disabled? Doing a search in the forum about this setting seems to be mixed.

I've read where Symantec people have said to disable this setting to improve performance as well as to enable this setting with respects to Exchange 2003. So which is it?

>
> 2. Also have you selected the single instance backup
> for
> message attachments-in tools-option-exchange?

Again, it's one thing to toss out a suggestion but it would be helpful if the suggestion was followed up with a recommendation.

Example:

"Also have you selected the single instance backup for message attachments-in tools-options-exchange? It is recommended to disable this setting because ......."

Just leaving the suggestion hanging like that does not provide much value for those of us who are searching the forum for assistance

> Please try doing the following
>
> 1. To isolate the cause of the issue try taking a
> backup by stopping the Anti-virus and thn verify hte
> result.
>
> 2. please enable the support for restrict anonymous
> and then verify the result.
>
> http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618
>

Again... the link provides some information but it should be followed up with a response from Symantec as to how this applies to the problem.

The first paragraph from the above link:

"According to recommendations from Microsoft, for certain security conditions, an Exchange 2000 server may need to set the Restrict Anonymous key to 1 to enable the security feature."

After reading through the entire document, I don't see where or how it relates to the problem in the original posting.

I have a similar problem with throughput degrading during backup of my Exchange 2003 server. I'm doing a D2D backup. The only recent change has been applying the Hotfix 43.

My backup times on just the incremental has been roughly 90 minutes (which includes a verify) and the size is just a tad under 3 GB. In the past, this use to only take 20 to 25 minutes (which includes a verify). There were even times where I got faster backup and verify speeds but for the most part 20-25 minutes was the average.

Nothing has changed on my network or with the servers since I first brought BE 10.1d in house in May of 2006. I've noticed the degrade in performance right around December 2006.

And yes, I have called tech support on this already to no avail.

Wes_Miller
Level 4
I have the exact same setup as you have described. My post is up here too

check out my post

Slow Exchange Mailbox Backups. Used to be 2-3 hours now 72+
Wes Miller
178 18 Jan 17, 2007 8:47 AM
by: Wes Miller ?

check out my post

I installed 10d1 I don't know how long ago but more than 1 1/2 years ago. All of the sudden in last few weeks I have started having this issue. Check this out.....
Like You.....

File server 1 = 450mb to 900mb
DC1 system state = 600mb It gets way better.....

The program file folder on the "C" drive on my mail server the whole folder.
avg 500mb

The entire exchange folder on the "E" drive of the mail server including the MDBDATA and priv 35-40GB
avg about 480mb with spikes into 900mb

Mail boxes
6-57MB

It used to be 350mb+ minimum only weeks ago.

My exchange guy has spent 2 days going thru every event log and seeing nothing. He specializes in exchange. Our department has gone through all the DCs and appear to be good.( I am not saying there could be something we are over looking) I have reinstalled my BE on a different box to eliminate mine. Same thing 6-57mb it seems to be capped. it will not hit over 57mb.

I am starting to see these issues all over the forum all the sudden. I am baffled at this issue.

I dont claim to be any kind of guru but I was first turned on to veritas in the late 7's. I upgraded to every individual version of 8's and then went to 9.1 and then to 10d. I have also been to 8 series training and for 9.1 training. I am not certified. Another words I have been using BE for more than 8 years. I would say I am humbly knowledgeable, and stunned too.

Sanjay_Raval
Level 6
Certified
try this KB article from microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897346