cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time-out while backing up system state

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Let´s give some more information and see if someone figures out whatit´s happening.

Target server:

Win Svr 2008 R2 SP1 all patches. Server logs shows no erros.

Backup server:

Win Svr 2003 R2 SP2 all patches, Backup Exec 2010 R2 V13.0 Rev. 4164, SP1, hotfix 150096 and 144101, disk based backup.

On backup server, job is active, with no erros,transfered 200MB, and now is idle. Does not finish the actual job.

Server logs show no erros, but several informational related logs:

VSS, ID 8219, Timeout expanding file \\?\globalroot\device\harddiskvolumeshadowcopy19\windows\softwaredistribution\*.*. This was done by writer WUA.

VSS, ID 8220, Timeout excluding files

The remote agent utility at target server shows:

Midia Server:

SERVER

Source:

\\Targer Server\system?state

Actual folder:

\

Actual file:

Inactive

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I received a solution that worked for me but don´t remember where or who post it.

Type dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

Now System State runs smootly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is the known issue with Backup Exec 2010 R2 where the backups of System State of Windows 2008 server reduces the job speed drastically...... it is vert very slow (as good as idle) even when the job is actually trasfering and backing the data.

Refer to the following link for more details:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issue/performance-issues-maybe-observed-when-backing-system-...

Also please note that this issue is fixed in the next release of Backup Exec which will be released soon in early April 2011.

Hope this information helps you....!!!

Thanks,

-Sush...

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited

So, until there I must lay back and pray for the server do no crash?

dropino
Level 3

that how they earn the upgrade in the dirty way.. fixing problem on the next release than rather release patch to correct flaw in their products..

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Thanks for posting your concerns. But Just For Your Information, it seems that you are not aware that an upgrade to newer build for same version is not Charged at all. I am sure nobody has paid any charges in the world just to upgrade from BE 2010 R1 to BE2010 R2..... It will remain the same again. Thanks, -Sush...

Porto
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I received a solution that worked for me but don´t remember where or who post it.

Type dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

Now System State runs smootly