cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trending data from Backup Exec 2010 R2

waynski
Level 2

Hi,

I am looking for a way to get trending data over time from Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2. I was thinking of creating a DB connected Excel pivot table but am not sure what tables to use to get the information that I am looking for. I would like to be able to build line charts and such on the pivot table to be able to display it on a SharePoint site.

The information that I am looking for:

• Size of the data from a backup job
  • Time the job took to complete
  • Successfull or not

I would like to be able to build a line graph with historical information from the BEDB

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Waynski,

In BE 2010 there is feature called Reports where you can also pull up and display the reports in Graphical format (Graphs, Pie chart, Bar graph).

Please refer to the Admin guide to know more about it. Here is the link to the Admin guide:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2211 : Backup Exec 2010 R2/R3 Administrator's Guide (English)

Following is some of the information taken from the Admin guide which I think will help you.

Setting graph options in custom reports
You can include a pie graph or a bar graph in custom reports.
You must select at least two fields on the Field Selection dialog box to create a pie
graph, and at least three fields to create a bar graph.
To set graph options in custom reports
1 On the navigation bar, click Reports.
2 In the tree view, click Custom Reports.
3 In the reports list, click the report for which you want to set graph options.
4 In the task pane, click Edit.
5 On the properties pane, under Report Definition, click Graph Options.
6 In the Graph type box, select the type of graph that you want to create.
Choices include Pie or Bar.
7 In the Graphtitle box, type the title that you want to display above the graph
in the report.
8 Complete the options for a pie graph.
See “Graph options for custom reports” on page 707.
9 Complete the options for a bar graph.
See “Graph options for custom reports” on page 707.
10 Do any of the following:
Reports in Backup Exec
Creating a custom report
Do the following in the order listed:
■ On the properties pane, under Preview, click Preview.
■ To test the report, on the Preview dialog box, click Test
Report.
To preview and
test the report
To finish and close Click OK.
the report

Thanks,
-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you might want to look into Ops Center Analytics which can do graphing and trending for you. BE's reporting functionality is poor. We ended up going with a third party application which worked well, and will send you a PM if need-be.

Thanks!

waynski
Level 2

Thank you for the responses.

The reporting feature in backup exec does not seem to provide for what I am looking to do. I am looking to be able to place either an excel pivot table with graph or a SQL reporting server view to our SharePoint site so that it can be readily viewed. On the view I would like to have a line graph that shows the job names, total data (In MB) for the job and the time and date. This way, when the data is refreshed, the line on the graph will reflect whether the backup is now larger or smaller.

What are the tables that are used to store the above information? Is there a view already set up that would contain this information?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Symantec does not publish the schema of the BEDB which can change without notice and does not recommend that users access the BEDB directly.