cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble cleaning tape drive

steeve_p
Level 4
 Hello, I am running Veritas 9.0 on Win 2000 Advanced server using a single DDS4 Compaq tape drive.  The drive is working properly because the data is being written to it fine.  My problem is I can not run the cleaning tape without it being ejected immediately.  I have verified that I am using the correct cleaning tape and have tried different tapes right out of the box.  I have have the same problem with another server with identical hardware.

I would like to schedule cleaning but 9.0 does not seen to support it for the stand alone drive.  Can anyone please help.   
thanks.

Steeve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
That's fine if it's after 10-15 seconds, the clean has happened, just faster than I thought it would - I think it should be OK.

I can't remember cleaning a DAT drive, these may be quite quick, just as long as it doesn't pop out the tape after about 1-2 seconds..

Mark

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marksw
Level 5
 There is no need to schedule a cleaning job on a stand alone drive - as all you need to do is put the cleaning tape in - and wait for it to eject.
The cleaning jobs is designed for autoloaders where you assign a slot as the cleaning slot/tape and when you schedule a cleaning job it will pick up the tape from this slot.
When you say eject immediately, how long is immediately - a cleaning tape should eject out in about 1-2 minutes or so.

Mark

steeve_p
Level 4
Thank you for quick response.  The cleaning tape ejects after 10 to 15 seconds.  
I tried stopping the backup exec services and then running the cleaning tape but I get the same results.

Marksw
Level 5
That's fine if it's after 10-15 seconds, the clean has happened, just faster than I thought it would - I think it should be OK.

I can't remember cleaning a DAT drive, these may be quite quick, just as long as it doesn't pop out the tape after about 1-2 seconds..

Mark