cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble duplicating existing media set

Janis_Purins
Level 2
Hello!

I'm running into trouble when scheduling duplication jobs of a particular media set. The media set is located in a B2D folder and is used to accumulate backups during the week (full backup on Sunday, plus 5 incremental backups during the working days of the week). On Sunday the media set is being overwritten with a new full backup.
During the week I'm trying to duplicate 3 different snapshots of the media set:
full + 2 appended incremental backups (on Wednesday)
full + 4 appended incremental backups (on Friday)
full + 5 appended incremental backups (on Saturday)
Everything works fine if I manually create and run a new job to duplicate existing backups every time the media set has reached the state it should be duplicated. If I do the same by scheduling the duplication job it fails with error described here: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278589.htm Indeed, when opening the properties of the duplication job the checkbox besides the media set is deselected. Selecting it again and running the job does not help either. I must recreate the duplication job from scratch. My guess is that BE messes up the duplication job selection list when the contents of the media set are being changed during full and incremental backups.
Right now I'm trying this on BE 10d Eval but it was behaving the same way also on BE 10.1.

Has anyone else also experienced situation like this? Is there another way to make scheduled backups of ever changing media set (policy driven backups)?
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Have you cataloged the media?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Janis_Purins
Level 2
When should the backup set be cataloged? Should it be done after each full and incremental backup or just before the duplication jobs? I have tried to catalog the media set before the duplication jobs but this does not help either. Are scheduled duplication jobs actually supported for media sets that have their contents changed in time between setting up the duplication job and performing it?

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
HI,

Are scheduled duplication jobs actually supported for media sets that have their contents changed in time between setting up the duplication job and performing it? - Could you please clarify further..?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
First, the media doesn't need to be cataloged... when the backup job runs, the catalogs are created and stored on the hard drive. If I understand correctly, you have a policy with weekly full and daily incremental backups. When you add a duplicate template to this policy, if the duplicate job runs less frequently then the template it duplicates, it will include data backed up since the last duplicate job...Not sure why it isn't working unless something is overwriting media used in your incrementals or full. What you trying to accomplish sounds more suited to a Synthetic Full backup if you are trying to get standalone 'Full' backups duplicated from your full/incrementals at different times of the week. With this scenario, you only run a single full backup then as you do incrementals, you combine the incrementals and the original full to create a new full backup. You can do the original full and incrementals to disk then do the synthetic fulls to tape.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
After more thought about what you are trying to do; create a duplicated 'snapshot' of all data several times a week, I came up with a preferred way of doing it in a policy:

- Create Policy
- Create full backup template that runs once a week
- Create 5 differential backup templates with each running on a seperate day of the week (you need 5 since the selection lists stack up for duplicate jobs if you don't run duplicates after every backup)
- Create 3 'snapshot' duplicate job templates
The first includes the full backup and the second day differential
The second includes the full backup and the fourth day differential
The third includes the full backup and the fifth day differential

You need 3 dup templates since you can't duplicate the full backup 3 times by simply scheduling it 3 times in between full backups (after the first time the dup would be run the selection list would be emptied out).