cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with swappable external backup disks

rekabbelac
Not applicable
I am trying to set up a system with 2 external USB hard drives. The drives are used one at a time, and are not swapped out on a regular schedule (typically swapped out every 2 weeks, but doesn't always happen). The data on the drives should be appended to until the drive is full, and then the oldest data gotten rid of first.  I have been using this setup via the built in SBS 2008 backup utility, but am now trying to set up a similar system in Backup Exec and not having much luck.

If I use backup to disk folders I have not been able to perform the backup without restarting the Backup Exec services before the job runs. If I remove removable backup to disk folders utilizing the same drive letter, it does not appear that the existing jobs are appended to when the drives are swapped, it appears that the existing "media" B2D files are removed, and new ones are created. If I use removable backup to disk folders with different drive letters, the backups will run, but after I swap the drives I get a media insert prompt.

Any ideas on how I should set this up? I'm using Backup Exec 12.5, with all the latest patches applied.
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The data on the drives should be appended to until the drive is full, and then the oldest data gotten rid of first

I would recommend all Overwrite jobs for Disk based backups, rather than Append

If I use removable backup to disk folders with different drive letters, the backups will run, but after I swap the drives I get a media insert prompt.

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276904.htm