cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True Image Restore on Backup Exec 2012

dori_bashan
Level 6

Hi

We are running Backup Exec 2012 with the Enterprise Server option.

I want to configure my backups for True Image Restore.

How do i do that?

On BE 2010, while using a policy,  i could check "Collect additional information for synthetic backup and for true image restore" checkbox.

Where can i configure it in BE 2012?

Thanks

Dori

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to do a synthetic backup in order to have true image backup.  It is the other way round.  The pre-requisite for doing a synthetic backup is to have true image backups.  You can do true image backups and restores without doing synthetic backups, but you cannot do synthetic backups without doing true image backups.

The equivalent of the the true image backup in BE 2012 is the Backup Using Catalog method.  This method will only reveal itself after you install the ADBO option.

The explanation of the Using Catalog backup method

Using catalogs

Backup Exec uses the Windows Change Journal to determine if a file has changed since the last time it was backed up. Backup Exec compares path names, modified times, deleted and renamed files and folders, and other attributes. If the Change Journal is not available, Backup Exec compares the file information to previous catalogs to determine if it has changed. This method is required for synthetic backups and true image restore. It is the most thorough method, but it takes more time to run. 

If you just want to do true image backups and restores without doing any synthetic backups, just create a normal backup job and then select the Using Catalog method.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

True image restore is automatically enabled for synthetic backups...so when you add an ADBO license, you would have an option to conffigure synthetic backups from the Backup tab..

dori_bashan
Level 6

Thanks.

But i want to have True Image Restore wihout synthtic backup.

How do i enable True Image Restore for any other backup beside synthetic backup?

VJware
Level 6

I don't think, that would be possible as true image restore goes hand-in-hand with synthetic backups & for both, an ADBO license is required...

dori_bashan
Level 6

Can you direct me where i define it (synthtic backup) in the backup setting?

I have the license installed, but i didnt find it.

VJware
Level 6

add the ADBO license, and then from the Backup & Restore tab, click on Backup & choose new synthetic backup...

dori_bashan
Level 6

Thank you

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to do a synthetic backup in order to have true image backup.  It is the other way round.  The pre-requisite for doing a synthetic backup is to have true image backups.  You can do true image backups and restores without doing synthetic backups, but you cannot do synthetic backups without doing true image backups.

The equivalent of the the true image backup in BE 2012 is the Backup Using Catalog method.  This method will only reveal itself after you install the ADBO option.

The explanation of the Using Catalog backup method

Using catalogs

Backup Exec uses the Windows Change Journal to determine if a file has changed since the last time it was backed up. Backup Exec compares path names, modified times, deleted and renamed files and folders, and other attributes. If the Change Journal is not available, Backup Exec compares the file information to previous catalogs to determine if it has changed. This method is required for synthetic backups and true image restore. It is the most thorough method, but it takes more time to run. 

If you just want to do true image backups and restores without doing any synthetic backups, just create a normal backup job and then select the Using Catalog method.