cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to accomplish a B2D2T strategy

JayScovill
Level 4

Can anyone suggest how I would accomplish the following backup strategy?

Currently I'm doing B2D2T with Weekly fulls and daily differentials.  The duplicate to tape jobs are using a a linked duplicate job within the template to run at the completion of the B2D job.  That works great.  These run every day of the month.

The problem is that I'd like to do a second duplicate to tape job of the Weekly Full on the first Saturday of each month to another tape library for offsite storage.  I can either set the link duplicate backup set job to run after the B2D job has finished or schedule it to only run every first Saturday of the month but I can't do both! 

Since I have no way of predicting when the B2D job is going to finish I can't reliably schedule the duplicate backup set to tape job to run after it's complete.  I can link the jobs so the duplicate job doesn't start till the B2D job is complete but I can't tell it to only run once a month.

So basically:

Satuday 12AM Full runs over the weekend and duplicates to tape

Mon-Fri 12AM Daily Diff to Disk and duplicate to tape

First Saturday of each month duplicate the Full B2D set to a second tape library for offsite?

Does that make any sense?  Is it possible?

4 REPLIES 4

twilight123
Level 2

It should be possible

Is the 2nd tape library connected to the same Media server?

First Saturday of each month duplicate the Full B2D set to a second tape library for offsite: By full B2D set, do you mean the entire backup of month, or the weekend full backup?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can have two duplicate templates in your policy.  The first duplicate template will be your regular duplicate template that you are using at the moment.  The second duplicate template will point to your other tape library and runs only only the first Sunday of the month.  Just make sure that you like the second duplicate template to the backup template.  If you link it to the first duplicate template, then it will duplicate from your first duplicate job, i.e. tape to tape and not disk to tape.

JayScovill
Level 4

I do have two linked jobs in my templates to duplicateD the Weekly Full B2D set. 

The problem is that I can either have the linked job start after the B2D finishes OR I can schedule it.  But I can't do both.  So if I do the former it'll run on the same schedule as the Weekly Full.  I only want it to run the first Sat of each month.

If I do the latter it'll run every first Sat but I can't control it so it'll only run when the Weekly Full B2D job has finished.  So I have to guess.

Does that make sense or am I totally missing something?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. You have to do a bit of guessing in that you have to set the time window.  You should know roughly when your backup job ends.  In fact, you might want to set it up to run after the first duplicate job ends so that the two duplicate jobs do not clash.  For example, the first duplicate job ends at 3 a.m., you can set the second duplicate job to start at 4 a.m.