cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to do my first restore and getting 'load needed DLLs for kernel' message.

jay6ird
Level 2
Using version 11D.  Backed up a windows 2003 box.  Went to another test box (same model) and loaded 2003 on it, set the partitions and did a restore (said successful).   After the reboot I get the below.  Any ideas???   I will try a search.

6 REPLIES 6

jay6ird
Level 2
Looks like I may have to install a service pack???  Can anyone confirm this??

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Is that a BAREMETAL restore??

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
NTOSKRNL.EXE SOLUTION
1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.
5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
6. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
7. Type exit to reboot the computer.

BOOT.INI SOLUTION

Option 1:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini (you might want to rename it instead to something like bootini.old)
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Option 2:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
MS Pappers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914049

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914049/en-us/

jay6ird
Level 2

Thanks for responding.  I do not know what a baremetal restore is.   Server was wiped and we put win2003 on it and restored.

I had seen the MS links previously to determine it may be an SP issue.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
ohh sorry I'm using the Netbackup.

Baremetal restore is a backup that U get even the system state, u can restore a server from a disaster, something like a Norton Ghost but even better cause U can restore that image to a diferente hardware.

I'm not a MS expert... but  I 'll try helping you.

see ya