cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to export all of my BE12.5 configuration and then import same settings to new 2008 R2 server

carob
Level 2
Can anyone assist?

Scenario:

Have old media server hosting all our backups (windows 2003) and settings on BE12.5

I would like to export all the settings (jobs etc) from the 2003 server and then import them onto a new Windows 2008  R2 server.

Is there a proven method for doing this?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Windows 2008 R2 is not supported as a Backup Exec media server with current versions of Backup Exec - it is only supported as a remote agent in the 12.5 version. BE 2010 will support 2008 R2 as a media server.

If it was not Windows 2008 R2, and you are migrating between servers you can copy the Backup Exec database and the files over from one server to another, run a command to change the servername inside the database and your jobs etc would all be available - although you woulld still have to edit the destination devices for each job.. This process is documented on our support site - I'll see if I can post the links shortly.

Colin_Weaver
Found the article:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367

Just remember this process cannot be used with 2008  R2 and Backup Exec 12.5 as a media server is not supported on that operating system.

For info I have used a modified version of this process to go from Backup Exec 9.1 (32bit) on Windows 2000 to Backup Exec 12.5 (64bit) on Windows 2003. S.o with a bit of thought it can be used between different operating systems and bit levels. As such once Backup Exec 2010 is released it should be possible to do a similar migration.

carob
Level 2
Hi Colin

Thanks for your reply.

That kind of stops me dead in the water!  I have to install BE as a media server....

Do you have a release date for BE2010 as I cannot proceed with this project on anything other than Server 2K8 R2?  I don't want to be forced away from BE, but this may be the only way to proceed.

Kind regards

carob
Level 2
Hi there.

I have a new Windows 2008 standard X64 server which I want to install BE 12.5 on.

This will be my new Media Server and ideally would have all the BE settings exported from our current 2003 X86 server.

Can someone point out how to do this in a proven way, or do I have to start from Scratch and install BE12.5 on the new server and setup all the jobs again?

I do have the option to install BE2010 on the new server, but the same process would apply - can I export all settings/jobs and import into BE2010?

Your help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Carob

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If there is nothing else runing on the new server, you could wipe it and install W2K3 on it

Then see http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367.htm to migrate to the new machine (note the Do Not Use If comments near the top)

then upgrade the OS to W2K8

Other than that, I think that you are SOL

carob
Level 2
Thanks for the reply Ken.

I have already installed the OS and some other software, so i guess it's a fresh install of 12.5 for me!

Kind regards

Colin_Weaver

Assuming your still have 2008 R2 involved (as per the original question) then the end result would need BE 2010
The way I would do it would be
Upgrade the existing server to BE 2010. Install BE 2010 on the new server and then copy the database and catalog files across as per the document Ken mentioned

The other way to do it is to install BE 2010 on the new server than follow the document Ken provided up until you have run the OSQL Command to rename an entry inside the database (but before restarting the services)

Then use BEMIG.EXE (and a small registry change) to upgrade the 12.5 database to 2010 (ttp://support.veritas.com/docs/287063)  before completing the rest of the TN provided by Ken.

GMTX
Level 3

From the notes on the conversion doc:

Do not follow this procedure if any of the following are true:
  • The computer where Backup Exec is installed and the computer where it will be installed are running two different versions of the Windows Operating System.
So is this conversion allowed? I'm really just looking for a way to get all my catalogs from the 2003 12.5 server to a new build of 2010 on an R2 box. If I have to recreate the jobs and config I can live with that, but I can't lose all the existing catalog data.

Thanks,

Geoff

AmolB
Hello

The above article needs to be modified. The migration is possible from 2003 to 2008 R2.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Yes it is possible...I did it last week! Server 2003 x32 to Server 2008 R2 x64.

fwolf
Level 4

How may I export my settings to a machine with the same OS and BE 2010 R2 installed? My problem is that we use the SAN shared storage option which is not allowed when using this document: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

Regards
Florian