cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to restore Windows 2012 R2 server but Backup Exec gives "The minimum size required for this volume [D:] is : 8.59 TB."

Tim_Miller_Dyck
Level 3

Hello,

I am performing a test restore of a Windows 2012 R2 file server. It was backed up using Backup Exec 2014 with SP2 + hotfix 227745. The Backup Exec media server is also running Windows Server 2012 R2.

The file server was backed up using the BE agent running on the file server. It has a C: drive (OS), a D: drive (most of the file data) and an E: drive (more file data).

I am restoring to a test VM and booting the VM using a restore CD created on the Backup Exec media server above.

The CD boots fine, it sees my attached backup media hard drive and reads the simplified restore information file fine.

However, I get an error message at the partitioning disk step. The Backup Exec restore environment lists just the D: drive under the "Mismatched Volumes" list even though there is a drive large enough to hold the D: data.

In the Advanced Disk Configuration screen, I can partition and format the new volume that will hold the restored D: drive data. This works fine as long as I give this new empty drive some letter other than D:. But as soon as I change the drive letter to D:, I get a popup error message, "The minimum size required for this volume [D:] is : 8.59 TB." and I cannot continue.

The C: and E: drives are prepared for restore by Backup Exec fine. Just the D: drive has this problem.

D: is different in that it has Windows Server 2012 R2 file deduplication turned on on the original file server. This is supposed to be supported and I have plenty of room on the new disk that is the restore target even accounting for unduplication of restored data (as is described in the Backup Exec admin guide).

Has anyone seen this as well?

Thanks,

Tim Miller Dyck

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically, if the backed up data is more than 100GB, than atleast 5% additional space must be required. How much data was backed up from D:\ ?

Also, is it possible to test this SDR restore using BE 15 instead ?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically, if the backed up data is more than 100GB, than atleast 5% additional space must be required. How much data was backed up from D:\ ?

Also, is it possible to test this SDR restore using BE 15 instead ?