cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Off SQL Server Diff and Full Backup

RickRepsher
Level 3

I have inherited a system that uses Backup Exec 12.5 for backup.  One of the components had a SQL Server 2003 backend.  The data in the database is no longer used in production, only for archival queries.  We really have no need to run backups on the database, as we have a current copy of the database stored on and off location.

There are thee current jobs: Diff Daily (Diff and SQL), Full Weekly, and Full Monthly.

I am at a loss as to how I go about shutting off the SQL Backup.  I have seen posts saying that it should be as easy as removing from the selection, but I do not see anything associated with the database listed anywhere under the selections.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RickRepsher
Level 3

Thanks to both for the replies.  It looks like I already did stop the SQL backups from happening.  I think the issue is more my lack of knowledge as to how things work. 

Our data gets backed up to a SAN, and then once a month to tape.  The LUN on the SAN has three folders, DIFF_SQL, FULL, SQL_LOGS.  Now that I look at it, I think that the daily differentials get written to the DIFF_SQL folder.  I was thinking that was just the SQL diff backup.  I am going to have to get some more HD Space!

Thanks again...

Rick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Hello, if you go to View selection details ( the tab next to View by Resource) you should be able to see it listed there and you can select it and delete it.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Also, if the job doesnt emcompass a bunch of different servers it may be easier to just delete and recreate the job with the selections you would like it to be backing up... If you decide to do so i would suggest creating the replacement job fire placing the current on hold then delete the former job when comfortable. 

RickRepsher
Level 3

Thanks to both for the replies.  It looks like I already did stop the SQL backups from happening.  I think the issue is more my lack of knowledge as to how things work. 

Our data gets backed up to a SAN, and then once a month to tape.  The LUN on the SAN has three folders, DIFF_SQL, FULL, SQL_LOGS.  Now that I look at it, I think that the daily differentials get written to the DIFF_SQL folder.  I was thinking that was just the SQL diff backup.  I am going to have to get some more HD Space!

Thanks again...

Rick