cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical Excluded files or directories

tcanthonyii
Level 3
I've been searching to no avail to see what the typical excludes are.  I already have *.ldb and *.mdf as well as c:\windows\wbem.  Are there any others that people typically exclude.  I'm fixing to turn AOFO on which brought this about since I don't want to be backing up live databases.  I also like the thought of speeding my backup times up a little and saving space on tapes by not backing up certain items.

Any help pointing me in the correct direction is much appreciated.

T.C. 
3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
As far as live databases supported by Backup Exec is concerned, you will not need to add any exclusions as there is active file exclusion, handled automatically by Backup Exec, as long you are protecting those files using BE agent. Also, Operating system takes care of some exclusions. So, you do not backup any database files known to Backup Exec, unless you have some specific database application which BE is not aware of. So, there would be hardly a requirement to exclude any other files or folders.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Active file exclusion is only good when the whole volume is selected.

I typically exclude the Temp and Internet Temporary Directory from being backed up.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Active file exclusion is only good when the whole volume is selected.

No, unless you have turned it off, AFE will always skip any files covered by AFE