Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT - Need to recover Data from old Veritas 9.0

fiftyeight
Level 2

Hi all together,

it seems that Symantec is killing my discussion from yesterday:
I can't retore data from old Tapes with the new BackupExec 2010. Scenario like described in:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/348482.htm

When I uncheck the options it has no effect, after restarting services the option are chacked again.

I hope that I only need the hotfix described in the artice 348482!
A supported hotfix has been made available for this issue. Please contact Symantec Technical Support to obtain this fix. This hotfix has not yet gone through any extensive Q&A testing. Consequently, if you are not adversely affected by this problem and have a satisfactory temporary workaround in place, we recommend that you wait for the public release of this hotfix

I have no support agreement. And Symantec won't give me the Hotfix without support agreement. WTF is that the behavoir against customers, who spend a lot of money to buy ther products which doesn't work correctly? I won't have technical support, I only want the hotfix and try to solve my problem by myself.

So I need your help! Could please anybody (WITH SUPPORT AGREEMENT!!!) could request the file for me?
PLEASE I ONLY WANT TO HAVE THE HOTFIX!

If there is an other option to restore the data from our old tapes (backuped with Veritas BackupExec 9.0)?

11 REPLIES 11

hansdeleenheer
Level 4
Fifty: that is why we all pay for support. Because there are people on the other side that get payed to help us. And they do a great job. So there are two possibilities: pay for it or wait for it.

fiftyeight
Level 2

thx for the constructive answer.
If I need help and I don't know what's the problem. I've no problem to pay for support. I would never say that the supportteam do a bad job!

But I think it's not ok, when the Software has an already known bug. That should not be my problem. I think the problem is on Symantec's side - look at the knowlegebase there stands in other word. Yes we have found a bug in our software and we solved the problem. But when you want to test the hotfix and repair the bug, which is produced by our developer, then please send us some more money.
The bug seems to be solved and I know the way how to fix it. I only need ONE file, no technical support or any instructions or something else.

Isn't it that way? Is my opinion wrong?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Dude, I doubt they killed your discussion from yesterday...

Anyways, the reason why you need to contact them is so that they can tell you that the patch is basically installed at your own risk. That is all. If it hasn't been tested, Symantec do that to absolve themselves which is understandable.
I also doubt that any of us with support agreements will request the file on your behalf. No offence, but that wouldn't be ethical.

My suggestion is to get hold of Symantec, pay for the call, and get the patch. Hans wasn't far off telling you what to do.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Also If you have bought 2010 in most countires this includes some form of maintenance (there are a few countries where it does not) so you might want to check with your reseller or Symantec's customer care team about whether or not you have the ability to log a case to receive the update you are after.

hansdeleenheer
Level 4
Fifty - maybe I was a little to short in my first answer. What I ment to say is that those bug fixes are available for the supported systems because they are not tested enough to be mainstream available for non-supported systems. If for any reason these bugfix causes other issues that are environmentally related, you wouldnt be very happy that after implementing that fix you don't get any support because you didn't pay for it. And believe me, those environmental issues are out there!

So the real question is; are you willing to lose your production environment because of the implementation of a non-mainstream supported bugfix? I don't think your boss would be pleased with this.

Just my "2 cents": paying for support always pays off.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Completely beside the point,  but

Dude, you had backup sets of over 4TB with v9.0?  How long did the backups run? 

teiva-boy
Level 6
It takes an act of god to buy BE2010 licenses WITHOUT some form of support.  Usually it's the default in 99.999% of cases to quote the SKU's with the included 12months of basic of essentials support.  It can be seen on your invoice.

You have to specifically ask for no support when purchasing.

CraigV
Our SAP R3 production DB is 4.3TB and we back it up via ARCserve 12 (angry...I'd prefer something more mainstream, but we run Itaniums, and Symantec don't support Itanium media servers in BE 12.5 and above, and NetBackup 7!) in 15 hours.
With a Unicode upgrade this weekend, we expect this to grow about 30% in the first year...got to love asking for D2D backups + deduplication and nobody is willing to take it up. Hehehe!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@fiftyeight - At the bottom of the document, it is stated that the problem is fixed for BE 2010 R2.  You can download BE 2010 R2 from the trialware section and upgrade.  Your BE 2010 licences are still valid for BE 2010 R2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Thanks for the info, Craig

But I was thinking more along the lines of throughput with tape drives supported by v9.0  (which only supported up to LTO2 if memory serves?

CraigV
:) ...I see your point. An IBM 3580 LTO4 library replaced the EML-e that was cascaded down...luckily we didn't run on the LTO2 ESL we have, or backups would have taken yonks to finish.

PS: Sorry for hijacking the discussion!