cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Devices for Backup to Disk

Chris_Barker
Level 3
I am using Backup Exec v10.1 and have 6 250GB USB external drives (M,T,W,Thursday,Friday1,Friday2). Up until two weeks ago this approach worked flawlessly (roughly 2 months). Then it suddenly started failing to recognize when a new drive was plugged in.

Here's the process... each day the appropriate USB drive is plugged in and powered on. The drive auto-recognizes in Windows and auto-maps to a pre-determined drive letter. That's it. Each of those devices was setup as a Backup-to-Disk Device (not B2D Folder).

Now, although Windows recognizes the device, Veritas starts the backup job and says to insert media even though the drive is there. The only way around this is to restart the media service for Veritas (which in turn also restarts the backup engine, etc.). There weren't any updates to the server in the past couple of weeks - any idea why this is happening? What can be done to resolve this without restarting the services each day?

On a seperate note - the Device Priority option in the Device Pool does not save. I know this is a reported bug that I've seen in other forum messages. Is there any indication when this will be resolved?

Thanks,
Chris
5 REPLIES 5

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Make sure that you have created a removable backup to disk folder in Backup Exec.

How to create a new removable Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253764

Please refer to:

Backup Exec support of USB and Firewire hard drives for backup-to-disk in a Windows Server environment

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276904

Regards,
Padmaja

Chris_Barker
Level 3
As stated in the opening comments, the drives were setup as Backup-to-Disk Devices. They are displayed under the "Removable Backup-to-Disk Devices" subfolder. To complete the original configuration each USB drive was plugged in and powered on. THe drive was then formatted and assigned a drive letter. The drive was detached and reattached to confirm that WIndows was properly recognizing the drive. The drive was then setup as a Removable Backup-to-Disk Device within backup Exec.

This process was working initially - each drive that was plugged in was being recognized by Windows and picked up by Backup Exec. The drives continue to be recognized by Windows, but the BackupExec services need to be restarted in order for the device to show on-line.

Today I am clicking on the device called "Backup-to-Disk Device Wednesday". Although it shows in Windows, has the Veritas folders/files already on it, and has free space, it is not seen as on-line within Backup Exec. Is there a setting somewhere which changes how often Backup Exec scans for new devices or something? There has to be some explanation as this configuration is supported based on all of the documentation that I've read.

Thank you,
Chris

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

--Is there a setting somewhere which changes how often Backup Exec scans for new devices or something?
*no
But you can set an option in Backup Exec to scan device when services start.
Go to Tools > Options > Preferences > Inventory all drivers at BE services startup..

--Also can you right click on B2D and make it online ?

--Check for relevant event logs generated if any

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Chris_Barker
Level 3
Hi - my first comment back would be that this forum should be setup to e-mail responses posted to our questions or at least have that option. Instead we have to check in numerous times throughout the day.

-- Right-clicking on the drive to make it go online does not work.

-- No event log information displayed other than what I already indicated - the error requesting that media be inserted

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-- Have tried creating a new test removable B2D ?

-- Also regardign your request , got to http://forums.symantec.com and check for ForumSetting .. send watch email ..

revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri