cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultrium 920 not reading Tapes

Nigel1T
Level 2

Hi all,

We currently have the HP Ultirum 920 back-up tape drive, but are having issues when trying to read standard tapes.

The four LED lights on the front of the Tape are showing; Solid Green for ready, but the Tape & Drive are flashing orange.

The issue occured first time round when a standard tape would not eject correctly which has now caused the tape drive to become faulty.

Anyone else experienced the same Type issue?

regards

Nigel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

According to the diagnostic report you posted, the drive is failing to become ready.  My guess is that the LTO leader pin from a previous tape has snapped off and is still in the drive, causing the drive to not become ready.

The failing TUR command is Test Unit Ready is returning a Sense Key of 0x02 (Not Ready)  I would pass this information on to the HP tech when you call.

Note: If this were a hardware problem the TUR would have reported a Sense Key of 0x04 (Hardware Error)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hey Nigel

Please use the HP tape tools to verify if the tape hardware is faulty

http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools

Nigel1T
Level 2

I have ran the diagnostic tool and it has come back with a failure.

Document enclosed to confirm.

Nigel1T
Level 2

A more detailed report of the findings

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hey Nigel,

This look lika tape hardware failure.

Please get in touch with HP and you might need to replace this faulty hardware

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

According to the diagnostic report you posted, the drive is failing to become ready.  My guess is that the LTO leader pin from a previous tape has snapped off and is still in the drive, causing the drive to not become ready.

The failing TUR command is Test Unit Ready is returning a Sense Key of 0x02 (Not Ready)  I would pass this information on to the HP tech when you call.

Note: If this were a hardware problem the TUR would have reported a Sense Key of 0x04 (Hardware Error)

Nigel1T
Level 2

Many thanks for the reply... I ran the diagnostic report and sent over to HP, who are now sending out a new tape drive.