cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Add a Tape Robotic Library to Media Server

Grayc
Level 4
Certified

I have a media server running Windows 2012 R2 Standard with Backup Exec 15 FP2 installed.  It also has a RAID as well.  What I am trying to do is install a Dell TL4000 tape library with an internal LTO4 tape drive. 

Under Device Manager, the robotic tape library is seen as "Unknown Medium Changer" and is "Working properly."

Why is it Backup Exec 15 FP2 will not pickup the tape robotic library when I run the Configure Storage utility and select Tape Storage?  Instead I am offered to "Run the Hot-swappable Device Wizard."  When I follow through with this wizard, it runs successfully but my tape robotic library never shows up when this wizard completes.

Any help in solving this issue is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If I am not mistaken PREC 800 is also a RAID controller, SSSI it is not supported. See this document for supported RAID controllers http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...while you can see the robotics correctly in Windows Device Manager (Unknown medium changer), can you see the tape drive? If not, resolve it in Windows first. What Windows sees, BE sees. Make sure you're using a supported SAS/SCSI card for the library and not a RAID controller too.

Thanks!

Grayc
Level 4
Certified

Yes, the tape drive is listed under Device Manager as, "IBM ULT3580-TD4 SCSI Sequential Drive."

For storage controllers, there is a PERC H730 mini  and PERC H810 adapter installed.   They are both RAID controller cards!  THanks!  I will disect out the PERC 800 HBA card from my decommissioned media server and transfer it to my new media server!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If I am not mistaken PREC 800 is also a RAID controller, SSSI it is not supported. See this document for supported RAID controllers http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683