cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Browse when Creating Selection List

David_Jennings
Level 5
When trying to create a selection list, if I try to browse to the selection I get an error stating "An error was encountered while trying to browse the contents of . The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." I can type the full UNC path for selections, but the browse option would prove valuabe if i need to back up some files in certain folders rather than having to type each name. I've tried stopped the services and rebooting the server but get the same message.
5 REPLIES 5

David_Jennings
Level 5
Is there an option that I need to install or is it a port that needs to be opened? I've noticed that it doesn't browse on the Central Server(which is the Primary Domain Controller) or the last of the 3 servers where BE is installed either. Is there a way to manually add the server names for Veritas to be able to expand the tree?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers will show an error message, "An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of....." when the incorrect share name is used in the User-defined Shares.

To solve this problem, verify the correct share name from Windows Explorer by right-clicking the share and then selecting the Sharing tab

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236082.htm

--Verify that the name of the BE Media server is mentioned in the HOSTS file on the remote Windows system and vice-versa.

-- Verify the following :
- Stop all non essential third party software and Antivirus software services prior to backup on both the servers.

- Ensure that Remote agent service is running with a local system account on both Backup Exec and remote server.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Jennings
Level 5
Actually the error occurs when I try to expand the name of the domain under Remote Selections --> Microsoft Windows Network. I see the name of the domain, but I get the error message when I try to expand it. I can type the UNC path which isn't a problem for some selections, but for some it makes it rather difficult.

In the past I was able to see ever computer in Active Directory when I tried to expand the domain. The only significant change made recently was an uninstallation and then a reinstallation of BE on the Central Administration Server due to a corrupt database. Since the reinstallation I have been unable to expand the domain name. The Central server for BE is also the Primary Domain Controller if that makes a difference.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Can you also update LMHOSTS files on all the servers?

Is the server accessible in windows network neighborhood?

Are there any errors in event log?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

David_Jennings
Level 5
I've since found that I am also unable to browse from Network Neighborhood which leads me to believe that the error pertains to the network and not Veritas. It didn't cross my mind to check that when I discovered that I couldn't browse because the server in question is a domain controller. As a temporary solution I've manually added the servers that need to be accessed through the "User Selections" section in the backup jobs. I tried modifying the hosts file but encountered the same result.