cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to associate with media set BE 2012

Dazzo
Level 2

Hello all,

I'm new to the administering BE environment and I've come accross a problem with one of the servers.

Windows Server 2k3 with Backup exec 2012 installed. Recently (past 2 weeks) the backup's have been failing as the tapes are being automatically ejected before the backup even starts. Today 2 minutes after tape insert. I have looked all over BE to see if I can find any reason for this as the alerts are vague at best and there is no listed error's, warnings or information in event viewer.

I found that all of the tapes have moved from the user created media set into the standard 'Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media', of course setting all tapes to infinate do not overwrite and not appendable. I decided to try troubleshoot and move the disks back to the user created media set but the option is greyed out.

Any advice on where I can go from here? I couldn't find the R version only that it was listed as version 14 Rev. 1798 (32 bit).

Kind Regards,

Darren

8 REPLIES 8

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Darren,

Are you using RDX drives for backups??

If yes then please check the following technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191711 : Backup job targeted to RDX disk cartridge may show the FLDR media under 'Backup Exec and Windows NT' media set OR a custom media set

This is By-design.

Regards,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If this is a physical tape drive, then stop the BE services and run the vendor diagnostics against the drive. You should be looking to do the following:

1. Write test;

2. Diagnostic test to rule out hardware issues;

Once done, erase a tape through the same vendor diagnostic utility, and then start up the BE services. Try running the job again.

Since this is Windows Server 2003 you need to stop the RSM service as well.

Thanks!

Dazzo
Level 2

The link isn't really helpful as the solution section provides no solution to moving it back to the correct media set which is the issue, unless I am missing something?

The tape drive is fine, I have manually run a full back up over the weekend as this was my only option. What I need to do is move the tapes back to the media set in which they belong so they have the correct overwrite and append settings and I can let the backups run automatically. I don't have any tapes to erase as they have data I need to keep on them.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Darren,

First question is are you using RDX drive or Tape drive for backups??

If it is RDX drive then the media set of the backup sets is correctly shown as "Windows NT..." This is by design.

Can you post the screenshots of the option that is grade out??

Regards,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...so your issue is that you have to manually move your tapes into the correct set? Is your Append/OPP settings correct on the media set?

Dazzo
Level 2

Sorry missed that bit, yes it's an RDX drive.

The tapes are in the 'Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media details' media set.

We have a user created one:

Overwrite protection period 3 Weeks.

Append period 6 Days.

I assume I have to place the tapes into the user created media set so the correct overwrite and append settings are applied rather then leaving them in the default backup exec one listed above.

The issue is I can't move the tapes into the correct set as the option is greyed out. I'll try get a screenshot for you guys.

120px_BE 2012.PNG

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Darren,

As already mentioned for RDX drive the Media are in the 'Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media details' media set. This is BY DESIGN,

You do not need to move them to any other media set. The overwrite and append settings which are defined for the Media set (user defined) which is used in the backup job will be applicable for those medias in the RDX drive even if they are showing up under 'Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media details' media set.

So for example of you select the Overwrite protection period 3 Weeks then check the Expiry date for the media and it will show you the 3 weeks date.

Regards,

-Sush...

Dazzo
Level 2

Thanks Sush,

I understand that part now then. They are in this media set by design due to the tape drive being used.

I am confused as to how you apply those settings to the tapes then, as it seems to of changed. It was set as overwite 3 weeks and append 6 days but when I look at the disk cartridge details it states infinate - do not overwrite and no appendable.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong part and there is another reason the tape is being ejected hours before the job even starts.

I checked the tape log for the full backup I ran over the weekend and it's set with the correct keep data for 3 weeks.