cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to attach to Resource

Stephen_Keating
Level 4

Hello

I am running into a problem tyring to do a Restore on a test network. The situation is as follows:

I have two Hyper-V vms running, one with Backup Exec 12.5 on Windows Server 2003, the other a Windows Server 2003 which is the target.

I am trying to do a Disaster Recovery of a remote Windows computer, per the instructions in HOWTO11944. I have setup the target with a Backup Exec Remote Agent. I am trying to do a Restore of the primary domain controller.

When I try to do the restore, I keep getting an error code of V-79-57344-33932 Unable to attach to a resource 0xe000848c. Attached are a copy of the Error report, and a screen shot of my resource selection for the restore job. I have taken the actual backup from the production Primary Domain Controller, imported into the Backup Exec 12.5 on the media vm computer, inventoried it and cataloged it before trying to run the restore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen Keating

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you looked @ this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH62182

Stephen_Keating
Level 4

Thanks for replying.

I have looked at the KB, and here are the issues when I try it:

1. When I try the NSLOOKUP, I get a failure, which is no surprise, as there is no AD yet to respond to the lookup. In following HOWTO11944 I have not donw a dcpromo on the new machine yet.

2, When I checked the Backup Exec Remote Agent Utility, the names in the Publishing tab were correct for both machines.

3. According to HOWTO11944, I am suppose to run the restore the first time with the target in normal mode, then reboot and put it into Directory Services Restore Mode, at which time I restore the Systme State again. Is there a possiblility that these steps are incorrect? Should I do the restore only in Directory Services Restore Mode?

Solution4all
Level 4

Hi nStephen,

Please follow below article to add DNS suffix before running restore.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62466

If the server you are trying to restore is only Domain controler no need to restart in DSRM.

Select C and System state and restore in normal mode.Once restore is compleated you need to restart the server.

Thanks 

Stephen_Keating
Level 4

Solution4all

Do I still need to do the NTDSUTIL Authoritative Restore and Restore Database commands also?