cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to attach to device

AndyTh
Level 3
 We're having trouble backing up sql databases on a client server.

It's been running fine for a year or so, but for security reasons, the database password was changed. When we try connecting to the sql databases with the new password, i get

"Attach to device server
Backup exec could not attach to this device. You may already be logged in with a different user name and password.
Please enter a valid user name and password."

Has anyone got any ideas what i can do to reslove this problem ? I know for certain that it is the correct username and password.

We're running Backup exec 8.6 on a windows 2000 server.

Thanks

Andy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
1.  Make sure no sessions are open from the backup exec server to the sql server.
2.  Rename the bewinui.uni file to .old - this will force you to sign in and reestablish your user/passwords.
3.  Use a sql server login (for the server you are trying to connect to) not a windows login when prompted.  It appears that backup exec will try both windows authentification and sql server authentification against the sql server you are trying to backup

Lyon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marksw
Level 5
 Check SQL Server to see if Backup Exec IS connected. If it is, KILL the connection. If not, try stopping the Backup Exec services and restarting them

Mark

m_techguy
Level 4
 You may also need to reset the password on the services themselves.  My login stopped working on the system?state partition.  I had to browse the user ID and put in the password again to get it to start working again.

Not the first time this has happened either.

Cheers,

techguy

lyon
Level 5
1.  Make sure no sessions are open from the backup exec server to the sql server.
2.  Rename the bewinui.uni file to .old - this will force you to sign in and reestablish your user/passwords.
3.  Use a sql server login (for the server you are trying to connect to) not a windows login when prompted.  It appears that backup exec will try both windows authentification and sql server authentification against the sql server you are trying to backup

Lyon