cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to attach to \\server\Microsoft Exchange mailboxes. Access is Denied

Tony_Stoyanov
Level 2
Everyone,
I have recently become manager of a small/medium sized business, and I have never used BU Exec before. I have BU Exec 8.6 Build 3878 installed on the same server as Exchange. Keeping the settings the previous manager had, everything ran well and everything backed up properly. I only ran into a problem when I was told by the owner to delete his account "for security purposes". Since deleting his account and email, I have been getting this error. I assumed it meant he was using his own mailbox for BUE to attach through, and I have tried reattaching it to an account named Veritas, with full permissions as detailed in the manual, it still will not accept it as the email account. Can you please help me?
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
After creating the "Veritas" account, have you logged onto the media server as Veritas, and opened Outlook, and sent a test EMail to create and test the profile?

Tony_Stoyanov
Level 2
No I haven't, because it is all on the Exchange server. Do I have to access it on that server, or can i create the account on a spare machine?Message was edited by:
Tony Stoyanov

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need to create an Outlook Profile on the media server, since the way that BackupExec does a brick level backup is to logon to Outlook, then attach to each selected mailbox, then open and read each item in the mailbox using standard MAPI calls. This is extremely inefficient and slow,

You may want to take a look at http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm to determine if you want to do Brick Level backups at all. It is a little dated, but all the points are still validMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Thomas_Cirillo
Not applicable
I am having the same error when running my System and nightly backups. I assume it began when an autoupdate was performed, but I can't tell if it was the update on the DC or on the Exchange server.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix, such as finding a patch that I missed, or an upgrade to the product.. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Tom Cirillo
Network Administrator
Vortex Data Systems
tpcirillo@vortexdata.com

Tony_Stoyanov
Level 2
Ken,
After reading the links you sent (VERY helpful, btw, thank you!) I have determined that you are right, brick level is inefficient and not really necessary for my business. However, being the perfectionist that I am, I still want to know why this did not work. From my previous description, do you think that my deleting the previous admin's email caused this problem? Can you link it through a person's email? When it said "a unique address" I thought it meant unused by another as well as being named differently.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yes, if the backup was connecting to Exchange as the previous IT's account, deleting his account would cause this

After creating the Veritas account, did you logon to the media server as the Veritas account and open outlook to create a profie, then send and read an Email to verify that the account/profile works?